Two weeds - safe for box turtles?!

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438453099.456791.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438453153.810269.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438453183.236100.jpg
I thought this was something I had planted seeds of at first but later realized it wasn't. Anyone know what this is?

This next one is a fern-like weed. So far has no flowers. I had taken it out of my side garden and planted it in the enclosure because some people tell me it was safe, but then I had other people tell me it wasn't and now I'm confused. But the turtles love it and it's a favorite sleeping/hiding spot because it's grown a lot since these pictures and it's pretty much impossible for an outside force (me) to push the stalks out of the way enough to see who's hiding there and to pick them up.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438453281.701016.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438453315.040145.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
The second one's leaf closeup looks like it maybe yellow Cosmos. Could tell for sure if I could see the whole plant. Cosmos grows on single stem that branches out. If it is indeed cosmos you should start seeing flower buds topping end of each branch. The buds look like a balls topping little branch. They grow and bloom quickly so you should start seeing flowers in matter of days. If not, the plant is something else

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
When I go home I'll try to take a better picture and look for flower bulbs
If the plant reaches your knees or higher and has none of the flower buds at that point, it is not cosmos. Cosmos is a prolific bloomer and starts putting out flowers very quickly. There is an app (not sure of the name of it) that I've heard of, you can take a picture of a plant and using this app have fairly good chances of finding out what the plant is. I must look into getting one such app:)

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Then this isn't it because it's almost my height and I haven't seen any flowers.
I know of the app you speak. I have an iPhone and it isn't iPhone friendly

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The first is a flower & the second is a weed. I don't know what it's called, but I see it a lot in my area.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
View attachment 141553View attachment 141554View attachment 141555
I thought this was something I had planted seeds of at first but later realized it wasn't. Anyone know what this is?

This next one is a fern-like weed. So far has no flowers. I had taken it out of my side garden and planted it in the enclosure because some people tell me it was safe, but then I had other people tell me it wasn't and now I'm confused. But the turtles love it and it's a favorite sleeping/hiding spot because it's grown a lot since these pictures and it's pretty much impossible for an outside force (me) to push the stalks out of the way enough to see who's hiding there and to pick them up.
View attachment 141556View attachment 141557

The first is Mirabilis jalapa, Marvel of Peru or Four O'clock.
Roots and seeds are very poisonous. Leaves are suspect.
I don't know if turtles can eat it and survive but I would avoid it.
The previous poster is correct on the second one as a form of ragweed.
While turtles will take advantage of it for cover, I have never seen one eat it.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
The first is Mirabilis jalapa, Marvel of Peru or Four O'clock.
Roots and seeds are very poisonous. Leaves are suspect.
I don't know if turtles can eat it and survive but I would avoid it.
The previous poster is correct on the second one as a form of ragweed.
While turtles will take advantage of it for cover, I have never seen one eat it.

Wait the first commenter said it was the same plant you did, but said the Four O'Clock was safe.

Yeah my guys love hiding in the second one

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh. Okay thank you. Now that I know what it is I can look it up and rip it out if need be.
Thanks y'all!

Mirabilis jalapa is a beautiful plant with lovely trumpet shaped flowers beloved by hummingbirds. You can transplant it somewhere away from
the tortoise enclosure and enjoy it elsewhere. A plant's placement on a toxic plant list is usually due to its history in causing adverse
reaction in mammals. It doesn't necessarily mean tortoises can't tolerate them.
I have red-footed tortoises that eat many blossoms from plants on the poison plant lists with no adverse effect.
Among them:
Paeonia suffruticosa, Tree peony,
Campsis radicans, Bugle or Trumpet vine,
and myriad toadstools and mushrooms as well.
Redfoots seem to know what is palatable and what is not by trial and error sampling.
Having said that, it pays to be cautious and weed out would be threats in enclosures.
Good luck with the burgeoning box turtle group.