Looking for plant ID

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
My friend called this "Hogsweed" and I was very disappointed to find that it wasn't dandelion. Can anyone help me determine if this is a safe option for my Russian?
hogsweeds 2.jpg
This flowering weed grows almost year round. My friend calls in Marigold. Maybe it is not a weed at all, although it grows like one. I know for a fact he did not plant them in the horse pasture and he considers them a nuisance. I have acres of them stuff available if it safe.
Marigold.jpg Lastly, there is this fern like weed. It is not very abundant but just looking for some variety.
Fern like weed.jpg

Attachments

• hogsweed.jpg
    hogsweed.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 11

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Pretty sure the last one is a wild carrot. You need to dig them up, if you yank them, all the leaves will just fall off and you won't get a carrot :( The fruit is strange, too, very white and cream colored, not orange! It's okay, but my guys aren't fans. :(
I looked up hogsweed, and google corrected me into thinking it was hogweed, aka giant parsnip. And I mean giant, there was a pic of this stuff taller than a human! :eek: But I'm 99% sure that's not what you have :p hehehe
There are many wild daisies here, but I don't 'intentionally' feed them, and no one seeks them out either.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply. I found that the Marigold is safe, but most tortoises are not fans. Wish I knew what the broad leaf weed is, reminds me of dandelion and there is so much of it.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Tortoisetable.org can help you learn to identify many plants!