TYPE OF TORTOISE

tyla03

Location (City and/or State)
barstow ca
Hello, my dads friend gave him a desert tortoise a couple days ago, we already have 2 make desert tortoise and the moment i saw her she looked different than the two males we have, her color is super yellowish and the color reminds me of the sulcatas we used to have. He swears she a desert tortoise but I would like to make sure she is. thank you in advanced for any information!! i included a solo picture of her and a picture of her and one of our males together.

Attachments

• 592D5A87-BD77-4097-AEEE-827C9239FE7E.jpeg
    592D5A87-BD77-4097-AEEE-827C9239FE7E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 081D03ED-B125-4578-8FEE-9C5E7846D308.jpeg
    081D03ED-B125-4578-8FEE-9C5E7846D308.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 10

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Not sulcata but a very dry tort. I recommend reading the care sheet and immediately start shallow warm water soaks in a high sided container for around 20 mins. Ensure correct diet, water, heat, light and enclosure and ask questions. The scutes near the neck are broken so introduce calcium to help the shell and I use coconut oil to moisture the scutes.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do believe she is a DT. She is not a sulcata.
I hope you are not housing your two males together. Not only should tortoises not be kept in pairs, but two males really should not be housed together. Also this one female, if it is a female, should not be housed with a male. She will get bred or chased to illness or death, besides the fact they should not be kept in pairs. The stress alone can kill them.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, my dads friend gave him a desert tortoise a couple days ago, we already have 2 make desert tortoise and the moment i saw her she looked different than the two males we have, her color is super yellowish and the color reminds me of the sulcatas we used to have. He swears she a desert tortoise but I would like to make sure she is. thank you in advanced for any information!! i included a solo picture of her and a picture of her and one of our males together.
The new tortoise is indeed a Desert Tortoise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Besides the good advice about keeping your tortoises separated, a new tortoise should be quarantined and not be with the others at all anyway. They are all beautiful. I love desert tortoises!

tyla03

barstow ca
Not sulcata but a very dry tort. I recommend reading the care sheet and immediately start shallow warm water soaks in a high sided container for around 20 mins. Ensure correct diet, water, heat, light and enclosure and ask questions. The scutes near the neck are broken so introduce calcium to help the shell and I use coconut oil to moisture the scutes.

thank you for the reply i just wanted to make sure, and i will definitely do so,

tyla03

barstow ca
I do believe she is a DT. She is not a sulcata.
I hope you are not housing your two males together. Not only should tortoises not be kept in pairs, but two males really should not be housed together. Also this one female, if it is a female, should not be housed with a male. She will get bred or chased to illness or death, besides the fact they should not be kept in pairs. The stress alone can kill them.
our males live in separate areas of our yard, we have two levels to our back yard so one runs the top and the other runs the bottom. we plan to keep the female separated from the males i just put them together to get an image of them both next to each other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can we get more pictures and from different angles? Its a DT, but I'm not sure its a female. I've seen light colored ones like this before.

In the solo picture there is gravel and fake grass. Both will be ingested and both can kill your tortoises.

tyla03

barstow ca
Can we get more pictures and from different angles? Its a DT, but I'm not sure its a female. I've seen light color ones like this before.

In the solo picture there is gravel and fake grass. Both will be ingested and both can kill your tortoises.
thank you for the advice but our male tortoise has been living in the bottom area of our yard where's the gravel and fake grass is for 3 to 4 years now maybe 5 and he's been fine we never had an issue with him trying to eat the fake grass and the gravel is only in part of our yard where they barely go to. she was only on it for the picture

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
thank you for the advice but our male tortoise has been living in the bottom area of our yard where's the gravel and fake grass is for 3 to 4 years now maybe 5 and he's been fine we never had an issue with him trying to eat the fake grass and the gravel is only in part of our yard where they barely go to. she was only on it for the picture

So here is the thing about things that are deadly - they only need to be deadly once. The fact that they are ignored the rest of the tortoises time with it doesn't really matter if it only takes once. Its a little like saying "I know lillies are dangerous to have around dogs and cats but they don't eat it so I leave it" an then one day they don't leave it, and its a horrible way to go. Kind of like "its always in the last place you look" because you stop looking after you find it. Its always toxic, until there's nothing left for it to be toxic against.

Personally even if i knew something was usually ignored by my pet, I still don't give them access to it if its pretty easily removed and otherwise potentially toxic.