Uh Oh, help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessadawn

5 Year Member
My boyfriend and I took Waggers down to the beach today so he could test out the sand and get some sunshine. Well, he decided to test out a rock instead. Unfortunately I was not fast enough and he swallowed it. The rock was about an inch long and more flat than round. It didn't look like it has any sharp edges but I'm not positive. Can anyone tell me how long it will take to pass if it does pass and what we should do if we don't see it in that time frame? Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
First calm down, it will probably be okay.

Tortoises are known for eating rocks. Keep him hydrated and try feeding something like some canned pure pumpkin or .... (duh Sr moment can't think of the thing I want to recommend but somebody else will be here soon and give you ideas). The thought is to get him eating things to help move things along in the bowel movement department. :cool: Some might also suggest some mineral oil.

It may take some time. I have heard of a month or so on one animal. If nothing passes, if he starts acting not himself, or seems to strain to try to defecate or has none, then go tho the Vet for xrays. Sometimes they do have to be removed by surgery, but not often.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If he was able to swallow it, then he should be bale to pass it. it might take a while though.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I am a mineral oil advocate!!! I say lube the dude up and it will help it pass thru!!!

My tort used to try to eat rocks too, Yvonne told me about miner-all, I used it for a few weeks and he is no longer looking for rocks to eat. Might want to buy some, I got mine off eBay because I couldn't find it in town. Works great!!

Jessadawn

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
I am a mineral oil advocate!!! I say lube the dude up and it will help it pass thru!!!

My tort used to try to eat rocks too, Yvonne told me about miner-all, I used it for a few weeks and he is no longer looking for rocks to eat. Might want to buy some, I got mine off eBay because I couldn't find it in town. Works great!!

Alrighty then, slippery little tortie brat coming up! Lol. Thanks I'll give it a shot!! :)

Khameleon21

5 Year Member
Are you referring to Sticky tongue farms miner-all? If so are you using indoor or out door versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.