ui company killed my egg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
hi, oh well, only 20 days left to maybe hatch,.... and power goes out from 1;30 am to 9;00 am . last night. i am sick to think i was almost there! power lines exploded and lost power for 8 hrs. should have put egg in my pocket i guess! my pancake pair are still sleeping , she just got power! i care more about the parents boosting heat now for them. what do you guys do with your friends when you loose power? i had no where to bring my friends and we were cold.i will have to do some thing. hey should i keep egg going , is there still a chance? i dont it! on weel, lindy

momo said:
hi, oh well, only 20 days left to maybe hatch,.... and power goes out from 1;30 am to 9;00 am . last night. i am sick to think i was almost there! power lines exploded and lost power for 8 hrs. should have put egg in my pocket i guess! my pancake pair are still sleeping , she just got power! i care more about the parents boosting heat now for them. what do you guys do with your friends when you loose power? i had no where to bring my friends and we were cold.i will have to do some thing. hey should i keep egg going , is there still a chance? i dont it! on weel, lindy

sorry about spelling i am upset. lindy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should still be fine as long as it didn't get below freezing in your house. Some temperature fluctuation is normal during incubation when they lay them in the ground in the wild. They showed us a study of one species of North American turtle whose internal nest temperature ranged fro 50-139 in one 24 hour period. They hatched normally after a "normal" amount of time.

In the future you can use bottles of hot water to maintain temps. Most people have gas heated water so you'll never run out of hot water. If you have an electric water heater, you should still have 40-50 gallons of hot water sitting there waiting in an insulated container.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Tom said:
You should still be fine as long as it didn't get below freezing in your house. Some temperature fluctuation is normal during incubation when they lay them in the ground in the wild. They showed us a study of one species of North American turtle whose internal nest temperature ranged fro 50-139 in one 24 hour period. They hatched normally after a "normal" amount of time.

In the future you can use bottles of hot water to maintain temps. Most people have gas heated water so you'll never run out of hot water. If you have an electric water heater, you should still have 40-50 gallons of hot water sitting there waiting in an insulated container.

thanks tom. lindy

dalano73 said:
Hope they make it Lindy....

it was bad. bulldog sick at same time, trying to help him in the dark and no power, it was too much! ohhhhhhhhhh, lindy

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Your eggs probably didn't cool off as much as you think. I'll bet they'll be fine. I had the same thing happen to me with a clutch of peacock eggs years ago, and they hatched a day late, but were fine. Next time , put a comforter or blankets over it if no power.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
yagyujubei said:
Your eggs probably didn't cool off as much as you think. I'll bet they'll be fine. I had the same thing happen to me with a clutch of peacock eggs years ago, and they hatched a day late, but were fine. Next time , put a comforter or blankets over it if no power.

hi, peacocks! how cool is that? wow! i did cover it with blanket. let you know if it hatches still & thank you! lindy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just remembered the story of my recently hatched sulcata eggs too. She laid them in the ground in the beginning of November and I didn't find them until the end of January. We had many nights with below freezing temps during that time span. I've got three beautiful, healthy babies from that clutch. :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
momo said:
Tom said:

thanks tom. lindy

dalano73 said:
Hope they make it Lindy....

it was bad. bulldog sick at same time, trying to help him in the dark and no power, it was too much! ohhhhhhhhhh, lindy

We lost power last night as well, lucky for us we had Vegas's house well insulated, only dropped down to 91 in his enclosure before the power came back on..

Def not a good time to lose power when you have a sick animal and incubating eggs...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
DONT put the egg in your pocket.. just leave them be..
We have gas generators for long spells of no power.
good luck with the egg.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, never take the eggs out of the incubator and move them around. That is instant death for the embryo.

In fact, don't ever even open the incubator during a short outage. It will stay warm in there longer than you think.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
My thoughts you should be OK. We have a back up generator that runs the house if the power goes out too long.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
ALDABRAMAN said:
My thoughts you should be OK. We have a back up generator that runs the house if the power goes out too long.

hi aldabraman, i hope so, i live in a 3 room cottage. very small tiny house. i will look into a generator. need to keep my friends warm! thank you friends! lindy

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Laura said:
DONT put the egg in your pocket.. just leave them be..
We have gas generators for long spells of no power.
good luck with the egg.

hi, i was kidding about putting it in my pocket. just a stinky nite! lindy

sharkstar said:
good luck. I think it should all turn out fine.

teri

ps. pics of hatchlings??

i have atleast 20 days more befoe it hatches , if it hatches. thank you. if it does hatch the whole world will know, will post pic. too! lindy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lindy, don't panic if it doesn't hatch in exactly 20 days. Sometimes they go much longer than "normal".

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Tom said:
Lindy, don't panic if it doesn't hatch in exactly 20 days. Sometimes they go much longer than "normal".

hi tom, i wont & thanks. ps. torts. have heat now , but furnace blew waiting for guy to hook me up now. cold'lol' lindy

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Lindy, any idea how cool the egg got? I am leaning towards the egg will be fine. Cool is way better than hot. Too hot will kill the egg much faster than too hot. Get a small mag lite and when it is dark in the room, gently place the light on the top of the egg. What do you see? Don't move the egg, just take a peek and tell us what you see. Remember, Pancake eggs can take forever so don't give up. I have had one go over 180 days and hatch.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Tim/Robin said:
Lindy, any idea how cool the egg got? I am leaning towards the egg will be fine. Cool is way better than hot. Too hot will kill the egg much faster than too hot. Get a small mag lite and when it is dark in the room, gently place the light on the top of the egg. What do you see? Don't move the egg, just take a peek and tell us what you see. Remember, Pancake eggs can take forever so don't give up. I have had one go over 180 days and hatch.

hi tim/robin, egg was in 60s, i am guessing. wild nite. transformers blew out , fire on the poles. only 3 house had problems. my dog was getting sick at same time. too cold to open windows.ohh. have you ever cleaned up after a sick bulldog with no lights on? i put blankets on all to stay warm, but i am guessing60-65. after last nite no batteries for flashlite. i will try tues. though. thanks for careing, lindy

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Two months ago I lost power, very unusual where I live. I could see the temp in the incubator was dropping, via wireless thermometer. I started my car and turned the heat on high. When warm, I placed the incubator inside the car. The temp inside the incubator stabilized, and even climbed back to 90 degrees. My car ran 2 hours before the power came back on, much better than loosing eggs.

BTW, all eggs hatched days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.