UK - Hermann won't go into brumation

dwrighty

Location (City and/or State)
Oxfordshire
Hi

I put my Hermann, about 8 years old, down for hibernation yesterday after not feeding him for two weeks and bathing him everyday.

He has refused to go down to sleep. He was awake yesterday and I went to check on him this morning and he was trying to escape.

We have had quite mild weather through October so I'm wondering if it's too early?

Did I do wrong by getting him up and should I have left him in his box?

I was concerned he would be getting stressed and didn't want him to become ill.

Any help you can be please would be very appreciated. This is my second hibernation year and last year he went down fine.

Thanks for any help you can be!

- D

dwrighty

Oxfordshire
How cold are you keeping him at?
Thanks for replying!

He was about 12degrees C yesterday so at the top end of between 5-10 but I assumed that would be OK.

Before I put him down he was only under his heat lamp for about an hour after I'd bathed him.

- D

dwrighty

Oxfordshire
Thank you again for replying.

I may keep him up then as it is still quite mild, or look to get a fridge so I can make the temperature what he needs it to be.

I know it's silly and he would be fine but I don't like the thought of it being air tight!

Thanks again

- D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, to do it safely, he should be in a controlled temp. Fluctuating up and down is dangerous.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi

I put my Hermann, about 8 years old, down for hibernation yesterday after not feeding him for two weeks and bathing him everyday.

He has refused to go down to sleep. He was awake yesterday and I went to check on him this morning and he was trying to escape.

We have had quite mild weather through October so I'm wondering if it's too early?

Did I do wrong by getting him up and should I have left him in his box?

I was concerned he would be getting stressed and didn't want him to become ill.

Any help you can be please would be very appreciated. This is my second hibernation year and last year he went down fine.

Thanks for any help you can be!

- D
You need a month of warm temps with no food for him to empty the gut, and with ferret soaks. Then a two week gradual cool down, with shorten daylight hours, and then into the fridge at the correct temperature.

Also, this isn't step-by-step sort of thing. It should all be done gradually, by feel, and depending on the current weather. I keep mine up and feed through October, fast in November, and put them down for brumation in December. I usually wait for a warm spell in March to reverse the process.

The issue is that we typically have warm or cold spells in fall and in spring that make this all difficult. That is why you need an enclosure set up, either indoors or outdoors, or both, that allows you to have some control over temperature and lighting for those occasions when the weather is not cooperating.

Its all here:

More here:

dwrighty

Oxfordshire
You need a month of warm temps with no food for him to empty the gut, and with ferret soaks. Then a two week gradual cool down, with shorten daylight hours, and then into the fridge at the correct temperature.

Also, this isn't step-by-step sort of thing. It should all be done gradually, by feel, and depending on the current weather. I keep mine up and feed through October, fast in November, and put them down for brumation in December. I usually wait for a warm spell in March to reverse the process.

The issue is that we typically have warm or cold spells in fall and in spring that make this all difficult. That is why you need an enclosure set up, either indoors or outdoors, or both, that allows you to have some control over temperature and lighting for those occasions when the weather is not cooperating.

Its all here:

More here:

Thank you for including all these links, really useful.

I am in the UK and it has been mild over October.

He is up but has slept for most of today so I'm going to keep up with the bathing, keep him off food and see how he gets on. If he carries on being very dosile and brumating without actually being in his box then I will try again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again

- D