Um tort problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
My tort is acting stranger then normal. He won't eat his food if it's fresh sometimes. A lot of times he comes out and see his food there and just take a bite then go back to sleep then like a couple hours later he comes out and eats all of it when it's all not fresh and like um...like when you leave veggies out for a while without refrigerating it it gets all really soft and dry. He also keeps looking at the substrate and it looks like he's trying to bite it. I also stuck my hand in and just touched him on his shell and when I put my finger out he kept biting at the air and looking at me. :( does he hate me? Do they not like it when you touch them? It makes me sad if he does hate me because I lots for him :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mt RF does not like men, it is true if I am out there feeding him he won't come out and stays inside until I leave the area, but if a female comes over all of the sudden he is out and walking around and walking towards people,total personality change.Am I angry he does not like men? no, just take him as he is, I seriously doubt he hates you.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Sadly, I don't think they love or hate. If their basic needs are met then they are content and thrive. If their needs are not met then they get sick. They will recognize you as the person who brings the food and may tolerate your presence because of it but they pretty much like to be left alone. It has taken me awhile to accept this:). But as long as my torts are all healthy I am happy!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can relax....he does not hate you....if you hand feed him he is likely associating your hand with food....also, naturally they can cycle needs from wet greens to dried out less wet foods according to time of year and weather with their instincts.....so I don't hear anything to be alarmed about :D

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
ascott said:
You can relax....he does not hate you....if you hand feed him he is likely associating your hand with food....also, naturally they can cycle needs from wet greens to dried out less wet foods according to time of year and weather with their instincts.....so I don't hear anything to be alarmed about :D

Okay thanks! Because I did hand feed him when he first came home so that could be why.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about him not eating right away. He might just be waiting to see if you bring out something better or perhaps he likes eating a little later. When I feed greens my RF will nibble then walk away. Later when he figures out I won't break down and bring out the good stuff like fruit or mazuri he will go back and chow down.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In my group of 4, one usually comes quickly, the other two wander in whenever, and the fourth usually hangs back for a while. Not a big deal.

Personally, I rather suspect mine behave this way because there is always plenty of food, so no need to rush all at once.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
My tortise eats throughought the day and snacks whenever [dont believe in taking food out after 30mins] HE DOES NOT HATE yPU! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.