Chewing the air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
My redfoot does something kind of funny. When I put him in near his food, he starts biting at the air in front of him, no where close to the food. He then walks forward while biting and eventually gets to the food.

I'm not worried, since he does eventually get to the food, (it's kinda cute really) but is it normal? Could he have bad vision, or is he just so excited to see food he starts munching at nothing?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Mine do that also, I think they just get excited, they smell food and start chomping away. After a few chomps they finally get some! Yay! It's the cutest thing ever! Maybe it has to do with coordination too, mine are pretty young so they just chomp away, then they poop in it and drag it all over the enclosure, then look at me as if to say "where did it all go?" It's good to be a hatchling! Then they crash out cold right in the middle of what ever they were doing! I love it!

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Ahah, good to know mine's normal then :p It really is cute!

*chomp* Nope not there *chomp* not there either *chomp* getting warmer *chomp* SUCCESS :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not real sure, and this is a total guess, but I'm thinking that some hatchlings have trouble coordinating their binocular vision. It gives them poor depth perception. It seems to correct itself as the baby gets older.

Whinhill

5 Year Member
Maine
I have june '10 cherry head he she does the same especially if it is a favorite food like cactus fruit or Mazori pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.