Yaaaay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
So not too long ago I adopted a couple of baby Redfoot tortoise from member here on the forum.

One tortoise smaller than the other (due to what I finally determined was bullying, and upon a really close examination of the smaller one, found part of her front foot nipped free of two of her itty bitty toe nails and a bottom jaw bite on the back of the same little foot) so I split them up and each has their own pad.

Well, the biggin (Goliath) popped out running...he had a fair appetite and eyes were only a little wattery but clear as an over all.. a touch of pyramiding, but all in all, pretty go lucky.

The smaller one (Sophia) however, had watery eyes and one of them had a weird thing going on, so when I put on my old lady glasses and grabbed the magnifying glass, I took a look at her damaged eye and it appeared to have a scuff of some type to the eyelid...so have been keeping her nice and moist and sprayed down regular along with daily soaks...the foot and eye looking better...I will continue to monitor the eye...well, she had issues eating, I put food down for her the same as I did Goliath, and while watching her noticed she would strike out to eat and her head would immediately go up and twist slightly to the left, into the air--yup, air biter...so I was hand feeding he every day--she ate and she has actually put a little weight on (you can actually feel her presence in your hand now vs before it was more like feather weight)....

So, yesterday I was feeding her and thought, hum...I wonder is she will eat freeze dried crickets/shrimp/mealworms and the like....so I went and stole some from the turtles food jar (shhhh, don't tell the girls)..sprinkled some on for Goliath--he gobbled em up...then I set some down on the counter where I had been feeding Sophia, I set them down right in front of her while I put the top back on the food container and I hear "crunch crunch crunch" I look and she has her beautiful little face smashed against the food laying in front of her grabbing it on her own...woooooo hooooooo, so today I figured we would give her another try....well, first try of two she went into the air biting...then I resisted grabbing a piece of food and shoving it down the food hole and waited...she tried again and got it...a few times, then I pushed the food closer to her face and she saw my hand and her head did the air biting thing.....!!!! I stopped and pulled my hand back and she walked to my hand....hmmmm, smart cookie...so now I know she is capable of eating on her own---with some practice now that she can kinda control her head....

So, will continue to let her feed herself, unless of course I see she is losing her will to try ...then I will shove it on down until she gets even stronger....wow, this turned into a long long ramble...but I am so excited for her prospects.... :D

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Nah, not a long ramble! You're just excited... and you should be! That's great news!! Hopefully she continues to make strides, and eventually eats 100% on her own! Good luck, Ang! :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Great news, congratulations! Hatchlings can be exhausting...

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
That's great news Angi!! I bet she will be independent in no time!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks for the kind words all :D

I am not exactly sure of how old they are....Goliath completely covers my entire hand with his chub legs hanging over ...and Sophia fits more on my hand including legs..no hanging off......I am the WORST at guessing age of captive torts....the WORST...:p

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
congrats on the progress. I haven't heard of air biting before. is there a problem with vision or smell, or why would the little tort do this? and is it common? Just curious.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah...the air biting thing, unfortunately, is not totally rare ...I believe there are vision issues as well as also nutritional issues from birth initially..as well as their little eyeballs sustaining damage from intense lighting etc.....

I have the old man Humphry CDT and he use to do the air biting and he is adult...however after constant hand feeding (which IMHO allowed him to gain strength) encouraged him to then have the strength and will to try to eat on his own (he has poor eyesight in one eye and don't think even that in the other) but he is determined and so he figured out a way to be one of my best eaters....:D

Sophia I believe can see (poorly but can see) but I believe also a bit of the prob was lack of natural sun and perhaps diet from the very start...so this little re-sparks the hope train for her.....Yaaaayyyyyy :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Good news, have you tried slugs? my male (hint hint) RF loves them .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ewwwww......ok so the one life experience I had with a slug was horrible.....on my part...so I was a kid...normally not a mean spirited kid...I was raised by a Mom who said every living thing/animal should be protected..so my cousins and I were on the porch playing and my rotten boy cousin (who use to tie strings to water bugs and keep em as pets for the day) noticed a slug on the porch...so he jumps up runs in the house grabs the table salt comes running out hands it to me and says if you put some on it ...it does a funny dance (he knew how I was..little butt) so I go ahead and sprinkle some on it...well it wiggled like dancing and then it started to roll back and forth and started bubbling and foaming!! Well my Mom walks out to check on us kids...she looks down at my hand sees the salt..then looms on the porch...SCREAMS ...then begins to yell horrible things at me about how I was cruel and how can you make that living thing suffer a long horrible death...I drop the salt shaker...realize what I had done was what she was saying but had not known that when I did it...no one had told me!!!stupid cousin ...he knew I found out later exactly what was going to happen....so to this day Captain...I am forever trying to make good ....silly I know...so the Eds get crickets, shrimp and mealworms--freeze dried then that way I don't have to be the life taker LOL...oh and a hard boiled egg from time to time....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.