Uncle Fester

Location (City and/or State)
Yucaipa, California
My Sulcata isn't feeling well. I went on vacation and hired a pet sitter to care for him. I was gone 14 days. When I got home he isn't acting right, stays in his shelter instead of roaming the yard. Which is his habit. Fester eats 3 times a day now I am lucky to get 2 down him.
Today I noticed he almost seems to be sweating his face is wet and under his face is a puddle of water. I don't understand this. He had been a happy and heal the tort. I give him a good diet and his heat and water requirements are met. Can anyone tel me what is wrong. I will take him to the vet immediately if this isn't normal .15343001126072834339495575498647.jpg

P

pguinpro

My Sulcata isn't feeling well. I went on vacation and hired a pet sitter to care for him. I was gone 14 days. When I got home he isn't acting right, stays in his shelter instead of roaming the yard. Which is his habit. Fester eats 3 times a day now I am lucky to get 2 down him.
Today I noticed he almost seems to be sweating his face is wet and under his face is a puddle of water. I don't understand this. He had been a happy and heal the tort. I give him a good diet and his heat and water requirements are met. Can anyone tel me what is wrong. I will take him to the vet immediately if this isn't normal .View attachment 248316
Looks exhausted probably a day/night cycle issue. Did sitter feed at regular times?

P

pguinpro

I left her his schedule she claims she followed it but I really don't know. How can I get him back on his schedule?
I'm just a novice tortoise keeper but when Ollie gets off schedule, whoch is usually my fault because I forget to turn off light or didn't turn it on till afternoon, I spray room temperature water in his den to coax him to come out and bask! Usually he'll come out and after warming up he'll eat. My tort hates getting wet so works every time. Also you could try to fill a kiddie pool with warm water and let 'em sit for a bit and see if there's a bowel movement; 9/10 will eat after that! If not I'd wait for a more experienced opinion and if no avail seek herptologist opinion. Luckily there is a university near me which has one and I email questions all the time.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Tortoises faces get wet when they are too hot. Have you soaked him?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
It is super hot right now. My tortoises stay hidden in cool spots all day and venture out in early morning and evening. I do go and spray them down 2-3 times during the day. This usually brings out my biggest.

Yucaipa, California
Thank you for your comments Fester is 7 years old and has never done this before.
I have sprinklers that go off several times a day he usually sits under them.
His heat lamps go on at dusk and off at dawn. Should I the them off