Unfertilised eggs

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi all

Sorry don't know the technical terms for this but,

When I took Tabby to the vets last year she had a scan/xray and was told she does have eggs and if she doesn't lay them and she produces more it can cause problems and worst case would need an operation. She has not been with a male, so they are unfertilised.

As far as I am aware she hasn't laid them yet. We are in the process of doing the garden, but there are some freshly dug soft soil areas, but not many bushes or hiding spots at the moment.

What sort of conditions or what can I do to encourage/help her?

I've looked online and shows how they dig with their back legs on a slight slope area, but that was about it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Boy, I'd be careful taking that vets info.
You don't want her to become egg bound but there is an injection of oxytocin that can be given to help get the eggs out. That should have been mentioned not surgery. Surgery would be the last resort.
They will dig several test holes.
You can make sure she has areas that has softer dirt and plenty of shade. If doesn't seem to start laying try a car ride. It helped mine get hers out

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Boy, I'd be careful taking that vets info.
You don't want her to become egg bound but there is an injection of oxytocin that can be given to help get the eggs out. That should have been mentioned not surgery. Surgery would be the last resort.
They will dig several test holes.
You can make sure she has areas that has softer dirt and plenty of shade. If doesn't seem to start laying try a car ride. It helped mine get hers out
Thank you. I definitely wouldn't let them operate as I looked into what it involved. He wanted me to take her back this year for another xray, but I haven't. Good to know there is another option if she doesn't lay them. I have a nice slope of soft soil in the shade which she hasn't explored yet, but no bushes there yet, so will try her there first.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@ZEROPILOT can help with any further tips.
Back when I had a male in with my females, I selected where the eggs would be laid by piling up fresh soil into the corners of my outdoors enclosure.
They almost always laid eggs there instead of digging in the harder ground areas.

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Back when I had a male in with my females, I selected where the eggs would be laid by piling up fresh soil into the corners of my outdoors enclosure.
They almost always laid eggs there instead of digging in the harder ground areas.
Ok will try where I mentioned earlier. Does it need to be sheltered e.g bushes etc? How long do I leave her if she doesn't lay them, before I need to intervene?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ok will try where I mentioned earlier. Does it need to be sheltered e.g bushes etc? How long do I leave her if she doesn't lay them, before I need to intervene?
Shade. Cover. Bushes all help.
But I have no experience with any tortoise that didn't lay eggs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I definitely wouldn't let them operate as I looked into what it involved. He wanted me to take her back this year for another xray, but I haven't. Good to know there is another option if she doesn't lay them. I have a nice slope of soft soil in the shade which she hasn't explored yet, but no bushes there yet, so will try her there first.
It doesn't need to be on a slope, and it doesn't need to be in the shade, especially in your climate. They often want to lay their eggs in a flat sunny spot because the eggs need heat from the sun to develop. They can't develop in the shade.

Best to offer a large area with lots of areas to lay and let the tortoise decide.

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
It doesn't need to be on a slope, and it doesn't need to be in the shade, especially in your climate. They often want to lay their eggs in a flat sunny spot because the eggs need heat from the sun to develop. They can't develop in the shade.

Best to offer a large area with lots of areas to lay and let the tortoise decide.
She has the whole garden and about 85% is in the sun. She has her favourite spots, but I haven't seen her look for places to lay. I can dig a few places to make the soil softer for her.