Up-date on Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
It has been a little over a month since Tanks surgery. He is still not using his back leg much. The vet said he may never have full use of it. He holds it straight out all the time. I am starting to worry also because he has stopped pooping again, it has been 3 or 4 days. Here we go again :( I hope he is not getting another stone because I will not be able to afford surgery again. He is eating good and moving around pretty good and drinking. I plan to take him outside for the first time tomorrow. I just don't know what else to do for him. I am soaking him for the first time today, the vet wanted me to give him a month to heel before soaking. I hope it helps. Any suggestions?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
After Lou (formerly Daisy Lou) had the x ray and found all those stones I started adding mineral oil into his food. I did it for a few weeks. It seemed to help because when he passed his second large stone, it was covered in the mineral oil and Lou didn't make a sound. The first time the poor baby made an aweful squeeky sound. His urates are looking good these days, he actually passed some today and there was only 1 kind hard little tiny stone, the rest looked normal. Just a thought and maybe an option. Worth a try!!

Do you have any aloe or pumpkin, that's suppose to make the stools a little runny, maybe that could help loosen things up.

I hope he has some ITB for you soon!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thanks Mary Anne. I had been doing the oil before surgery but not since. I soaked him for a long time and he pooped a little :) :) I have been thinking about working his leg back and forth a few times a day, what do you all think?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Personally, I would say no. He can't tell you how far is too far, and not being an expert on tortoise anatomy, there is the possibility of internal tearing or other damage.

Even if he does not regain full use of the leg, he can still lead a quality life. I wouldn't risk causing him more pain.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Good point Kristina but what I was thinking is when people and other animals have surgery they do therapy to regain use of limbs so I was hoping it would work the same for reptiles. Hmmm guess I should call the vet.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
In this I would follow what the vets says and recommends. Best.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm so sorry Tank is having all these problems, Missy. I would, (with Vets permission) start exercising his leg carefully

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Missy, I am so sorry Tank is not doing too good :( I hope he will get better very very soon...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had a YF who prolapsed. We were lucky that he was able to poop out the stones he had eaten and the prolapse was fixed. But every time he pooped after that episode, it included several little rocks.

This happened a couple months ago (I think), and he's still pooping out rocks. So mineral oil down his throat every so often would be helpful. It doesn't harm the tortoise and isn't absorbed, but it does coat whatever is in his tract and help it to move out.

If the vet says it ok to start soaking again, then that's what I'd do. My YF gets in his water dish and poops out his rocks every time.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
I had a YF who prolapsed. We were lucky that he was able to poop out the stones he had eaten and the prolapse was fixed. But every time he pooped after that episode, it included several little rocks.

This happened a couple months ago (I think), and he's still pooping out rocks. So mineral oil down his throat every so often would be helpful. It doesn't harm the tortoise and isn't absorbed, but it does coat whatever is in his tract and help it to move out.

If the vet says it ok to start soaking again, then that's what I'd do. My YF gets in his water dish and poops out his rocks every time.

Is he continuing to ingest rocks, or are these rocks from the initial load?

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
Hey Missy,

Just want to send my regards to you and Tank...

Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Sincerely,

Tyler

Status
Not open for further replies.