Update on Breeding Project

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools

Here's a short video that shares update footage of our SSP registered male geoemyda spengleri, spending time with a previously lonely female. Their offspring will help boost the number of representatives of this species in assurance colonies in this country. Thanks for watching.

Ant

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Great video. They were walking SO slowly though...
I must say, I'm starting to think about getting a pair of these.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I feel like screaming.....My favorite of ANY species in the world. I could watch them all day. Keep saving your change Terry!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
They are so rewarding. I feel especially grateful to work with this group that Ben worked so hard to acclimate. I have just tried to keep things as he had them, and so far, everything has seemed to work out. (Knock on wood)...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Gorgeous animals!

But her serrated carapace has got to make the whole process...ummm... a bit tricky! Maybe he was just being careful!!!:p

Turtlepete

South Florida
Gorgeous animals!

But her serrated carapace has got to make the whole process...ummm... a bit tricky! Maybe he was just being careful!!!:p

I laughed out loud. For like five minutes. LOL.

Gorgeous species Anthony. So where is their offspring sent? Do you keep them or send them to others with studbook-listed animals? Pretty cool that they let you participate in the spengleri SSP.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
So far we've kept the offspring. It will be interesting to see where the SSP coordinator wants us to send our offspring as they become sewable. Perhaps off to other institutions that are in need of breeders.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
The FIRST egg of the year just hatched! Amazing that it took so long. It hatched at 111 days of incubation, compared to the 70 or so days that is usually the standard. We have been playing around with cooler temps in an attempt to produce males, as the AZA Studbook is extremely short of males. Fingers crossed!

I hope to have pics and even a video update as early as tomorrow. Plus, two more eggs cooking, so stay tuned!

Ant

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Thanks, Jan! Here are a couple shots of the new little guy. I named "him" Egon. Hopefully he actually does become a he.

Attachments

• IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1209.JPG
    IMG_1209.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 33

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
HE IS TOTALLY ADORABLE!!!!! :):):)
Thanks so much!

I should also say that this guy is a whopping 7.1 grams out of the egg. hat's pretty heavy, since last years eggs that hatched after 73 and 78 days weighed in at only 6 or so grams. When you weigh 6 or 7 grams, that one gram is a big difference :)