Update on Lola

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Okay so I called the pet shop where I got her and they said the same thing that all yall said. She is trying to hibernate so to keep the cool side hotter. The hot side is set at 98 and Im trying to heat up the cool side. I have a zoo med tortoise house(trying to put pics up) and so the cool side is the small part that is covered with wood on top. The hot side is covered in wire. So Im trying to figure out how to heat up the cool side...Ok Im going to get some fake plants or something for her to hide in. Getting dandelions today too but I think Im not going to give them to her tomorrow because she doesnt eat when I put it in there. Should I soak her? The people I got her from said not to and just let her warm up, not to mess with her. But wont soaking heat her up at least it will keep her awake for awhile? Please help. I also put a towel over the cool side to keep the heat from escaping.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
can you put some sort of cover over the cool side and still have the heat under? aluminum foil might work

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
Laura said:
can you put some sort of cover over the cool side and still have the heat under? aluminum foil might work

Like put a heating pad under the enclosure? The cool side is covered by a wooden door.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Your table looks a good size but i would change the Substrate from the Pellets as this can make walking hard and cause problems i use coconut humus mixed with Orchid bark. more plants will be good too hope this helps.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
Tracy Gould said:
Your table looks a good size but i would change the Substrate from the Pellets as this can make walking hard and cause problems i use coconut humus mixed with Orchid bark. more plants will be good too hope this helps.

Ya Im going to but Petsmart is out right now and the Petland near may house doesnt carry it so I had to order some. Thanks

I put her out under the basking lamp and she is sleeping. Going right now to get plants.

M

Maggie Cummings

Put a black light bulb over the cool side, that will heat it up. It looks like a regular incandescent bulb only it's black...$4 at Kmart...

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
maggie3fan said:
Put a black light bulb over the cool side, that will heat it up. It looks like a regular incandescent bulb only it's black...$4 at Kmart...

Darn we dont have a Kmart. We have a regular 60 watt black light that we usd on Haloween, will that work?

Got back from Petsmart, got her an all natural cork round log. Thats all they had left that was wide enough. Went to check on her and she was awake and sitting in the middle of the enclosure, taking it as a good sign. The cool side of the enclosure is slowing heating up, the heating pad has made the floor warm. Fingers crossed :)

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
Alright, the cool side of the enclosure is at 83. The hot side is 99. She is slowly starting to move around, but still isnt eating I will try to feed her tomorrow night and soak her before then. Thanks everyone for the help :)

moswen

5 Year Member
haha my dog is named lola, of corse i couldn't resist reading this thread... i think you SHOULD soak her, give her a nice, warm, very long soak. make the water a little warmer than what you would feel comfortable with, and i would reheat the water a few times as well. i mean as long as you possibly can soak her. that will help her body warm up.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
moswen said:
haha my dog is named lola, of corse i couldn't resist reading this thread... i think you SHOULD soak her, give her a nice, warm, very long soak. make the water a little warmer than what you would feel comfortable with, and i would reheat the water a few times as well. i mean as long as you possibly can soak her. that will help her body warm up.

I thought the exact same thing, I going to go get her now. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.