I’m thinking

Mr.pacheco

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I just stopped by petco just for fun to look at stuff for my red foot but then I came across some Herman’s tortoises and I thought to my self what if so I desired to come to you guys for edvice I now basic thing like heat, uv ,substrate and that’s it not much about diet or humidity I have just about everything I need for him except for diet and humidity that’s it

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
8x4 enclosure. The food for a Hermann is different than what you feed your redfoot. If you are considering buying a tortoise for the pet store most likely it is a wild caught older tortoise and maybe not in the best condition.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi!
If you are looking for Hermanns tortoise care sheet, check these:
1. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
2. https://www.hermannihaven.com/t-hermanni-care-sheet
3. Pinned posts by HermanniChris in this forum section. And his Garden State Tortoise videos on YT.

Adult tortoise needs about 4x8 feet enclosure, larger is preferred. Larger outdoors pen is even better.

Key differences from Redfoots care:
1. Diet. No fruit and animal protein. Leafy greens and weeds rich in calcium and fiber.
2. Temperatures (good basking area, nighttime temperature drops, wider temperature range in the enclosure, closer to room temps)
3. Less humidity (50-70% across the enclosure for juvenile and babies).
4. Stronger UVB source at basking area.
5. They can brumate in winter (sometimes you can do nothing about it). Brumation should be well-prepared and done properly (e.g. stable low temperatures without swings, optimally in a dedicated fridge).

Don't make an impulsive buy. Research the care sheets first and prepare anything. Keep in mind, that you can't co-habitate your redfooted and Hermanns in one enclosure (be it indoors or outdoors). Wrong lifetime care is no better than leaving him at Petco.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It’s great you want to offer a home to another tortoise, we can certainly go over housing a Herman, NEVER let the Herman and red foot interact with one another! Never place them in the same enclosure.

For now though I would HIGHLY encourage you to get to grips with your red foot’s care first, you’re still making changes to the enclosure, you still need to invest in indoor uv and as I understand it budget was an issue? These guys are not cheap to keep by any stretch. You’re also relying heavily on your sister to care for your red foot too as I understand it because your between houses? I wouldn’t recommend giving her another tortoise to look after just yet, they both have very DIFFERENT care needs. In fact id seriously consider only going ahead once you’re in a stable housing and financial situation yourself. You have many years ahead to think about it so don’t rush🙂

You also need to bear in mind your red foot is going to need a size upgrade very soon, they can’t stay in the size you have forever, so do you have space for two huge enclosures?

You’re still very much learning on this forum, there’s still things I think you need to keep going over information wise. I hope you take no offence in me saying this, but I think you really need to find your feet with your red foots care before you consider housing another species. It’s only been a matter of days you’ve switched to a more appropriate diet and substrate.
You’re still asking questions on care needs, which I really want you to continue doing! But until you’re familiar and know/understand all the answers, getting another tortoise really isn’t a good idea at this stage.

Just stick with us and let’s focus on making sure all your red foot’s needs are being met first😊

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Ok sounds good thanks guys I was just thinking about getting him and I was planning on getting a rescued one and also I have just about everything he needs since I accidentally bought 2 of just about everything for my red foot and will do more research just came to you guys first thanks so much 🙃😃👍

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ok sounds good thanks guys I was just thinking about getting him and I was planning on getting a rescued one and also I have just about everything he needs since I accidentally bought 2 of just about everything for my red foot and will do more research just came to you guys first thanks so much 🙃😃👍
Bless you, definitely always encourage a rescue over buy from chain stores❤️

Just bear in mind it’s not just the double up on equipment, it’s double the indoor uv(they aren’t cheap) and double the huge enclosures! Perhaps once you upgrade your red foot in the future, you could use the old enclosure for a new Herman😊

Definitely keep doing research(I’d only do that here, there’s too much misinformation out there online to trust other sources! Unless recommended here) and focus on becoming more familiar with the basics😁

What’s your red foot’s name btw? I never asked🥰

Anastasia 22

Texas
Ok sounds good thanks guys I was just thinking about getting him and I was planning on getting a rescued one and also I have just about everything he needs since I accidentally bought 2 of just about everything for my red foot and will do more research just came to you guys first thanks so

I just stopped by petco just for fun to look at stuff for my red foot but then I came across some Herman’s tortoises and I thought to my self what if so I desired to come to you guys for edvice I now basic thing like heat, uv ,substrate and that’s it not much about diet or humidity I have just about everything I need for him except for diet and humidity that’s it
Hello!
That's exactly what happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I stopped by Petco and rescued the tortoise from them. I'm so happy I did it.
Wish you good luck!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd like to make a request of you. Please use punctuation, capitals at the start of each sentence, and please form sentences and paragraphs. It will make it much easier to understand what you are asking or saying, and we will be better able to help.