New to tortoises but thinking about getting one ❤️

Deepfriedtofu

Location (City and/or State)
DC
Hi!
I’m keys and I’m a 28 year old woman currently living in Washington DC. I live in an apartment with my ball python Wiley and I’m thinking about getting Wiley a friend soon. I have Wiley’s tank on a shelf that’s about 5ft by two feet and there’s a lower level on the shelf that’s currently empty. I was thinking about building a 4.5 ft by 2 ft tortoise table to put on the bottom shelf and was wondering if that’s enough space for a small specie of tortoise. The space is relatively large and I could potentially build something with two levels but absolutely don’t have more ground space unless I buy a bigger shelf (which I’m def not opposed to).

Anywhooo, just wanted to say hi! I have no concrete plans to build anything yet.

Bonus pic of Wiley ❤️
IMG_0248.jpeg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome
Of course you know they can't live together so would be neighbors not friends.
No tortoise once it's an adult can live in that small of an enclosure. The minimum for a Russian, who is one of the smaller species needs a 4x8 foot. The size you listed is for hatchings.
You might want to reconsider and get a small lizard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi!
I’m keys and I’m a 28 year old woman currently living in Washington DC. I live in an apartment with my ball python Wiley and I’m thinking about getting Wiley a friend soon. I have Wiley’s tank on a shelf that’s about 5ft by two feet and there’s a lower level on the shelf that’s currently empty. I was thinking about building a 4.5 ft by 2 ft tortoise table to put on the bottom shelf and was wondering if that’s enough space for a small specie of tortoise. The space is relatively large and I could potentially build something with two levels but absolutely don’t have more ground space unless I buy a bigger shelf (which I’m def not opposed to).

Anywhooo, just wanted to say hi! I have no concrete plans to build anything yet.

Bonus pic of Wiley ❤️
View attachment 365577
Hello and welcome! Wiley is gorgeous! That pattern is fantastic.

As Wellington pointed out, tortoises need huge enclosures compared to other reptiles. We are all tortoise people and would love to see you get a tortoise, but it sounds like you don't currently have enough room for one. 4.5x2 feet would make a great size for a bearded dragon, blue tongue skink, a little ackie monitor, any number of snake species, a whole herd of leopard geckos, some of the smaller aquatic turtle species, etc...

Most of the info you find out in the world from pet shops and the internet is all wrong. Here is some of the right info to help you make your decision about what to do:

Deepfriedtofu

DC
Hello and welcome! Wiley is gorgeous! That pattern is fantastic.

As Wellington pointed out, tortoises need huge enclosures compared to other reptiles. We are all tortoise people and would love to see you get a tortoise, but it sounds like you don't currently have enough room for one. 4.5x2 feet would make a great size for a bearded dragon, blue tongue skink, a little ackie monitor, any number of snake species, a whole herd of leopard geckos, some of the smaller aquatic turtle species, etc...

Most of the info you find out in the world from pet shops and the internet is all wrong. Here is some of the right info to help you make your decision about what to do:
Thanks for the info. I want to get a tortoise but I def don't have any concrete plans just considering it. I spent a lot of time/money setting up a healthy enviroment for my ball python and I would never adopt another animal without adequate space. The reason I've joined this forum is to get more info, and find the resources to build an enclosure that works for my space and the animal. The only issue is that I am NOT handy and I'm having issues find resources for people who can build enclosures.

Deepfriedtofu

DC
Hello and Welcome
Of course you know they can't live together so would be neighbors not friends.
No tortoise once it's an adult can live in that small of an enclosure. The minimum for a Russian, who is one of the smaller species needs a 4x8 foot. The size you listed is for hatchings.
You might want to reconsider and get a small lizard.
Lol of course! I know they will not actually interact. I joined this forum to learn more about tortoise husbandry and see if its possible for my space. I am looking for creative ways to buy an enclosure that will fit into my apartment. Its a work in progress.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have to be able to go bigger. I have seen a member or two build an L shaped enclosure along the wall on the floor.
Also two levels can work, but you still have to meet the minimum space needed.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see someone research getting a tortoise, before getting it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lol of course! I know they will not actually interact. I joined this forum to learn more about tortoise husbandry and see if its possible for my space. I am looking for creative ways to buy an enclosure that will fit into my apartment. Its a work in progress.
If you can find or make the space for an 8x3 foot enclosure, our own @Markw84 makes the most wonderful closed chamber enclosures, called "Smart Enclosures". He can ship directly to you and set up is pretty easy. This would allow you to house a single tortoise of one of the smaller species indefinitely. Either of the star species, Russians, hermanni, any of the smaller greek subspecies. Males of each of these tend to be more personable and stay smaller than the females.

Deepfriedtofu

DC
You have to be able to go bigger. I have seen a member or two build an L shaped enclosure along the wall on the floor.
Also two levels can work, but you still have to meet the minimum space needed.
Two levels seems like my best best but I’m worried about them falling off the ramp. Is it safe? Is it better to hire someone to build an enclosure or build one myself? I have many questions. The reason I’ve joined this forum is to figure these things out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Two levels seems like my best best but I’m worried about them falling off the ramp. Is it safe? Is it better to hire someone to build an enclosure or build one myself? I have many questions. The reason I’ve joined this forum is to figure these things out.
The ramp should have sides on it so it can't fall off.
As for making it or hiring someone, only you can know your building skills and answer that.

Deepfriedtofu

DC
The ramp should have sides on it so it can't fall off.
As for making it or hiring someone, only you can know your building skills and answer that.
Lol i definitely will need to hire someone. I think my biggest barrier at the moment is finding space and finding someone who can customize an enclosure with the correct square footage that fits into my apartment. I'm in no rush to get a tortoise just starting to think about what's needed.

Deepfriedtofu

DC
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see someone research getting a tortoise, before getting it.
Thanks. I take husbandry super seriously. I prepper for a long time before I bought my python.

Reactions: Ink

Andy27012

5 Year Member
If you are serious see if you can find someone selling or breeding Egyptian tortoises. They I believe are the smallest of the tortoises and can be kept in a reasonable amount of space. Sadly, It is illegal for them to cross state lines though.

Deepfriedtofu

DC
If you are serious see if you can find someone selling or breeding Egyptian tortoises. They I believe are the smallest of the tortoises and can be kept in a reasonable amount of space. Sadly, It is illegal for them to cross state lines though.
Do you know if they are a friendly species or more shy?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
As stated in the older thread: "They are rambunctious rascals of tortoises." :)
Here is the link: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/care-of-egyptian-tortoises.72101/

You can check specie-related sections of the forum, look at the care sheets and general specie descriptions to choose what tortoises do you like best and if you can provide them the required environment. One option is to get a brumating specie, arrange a tortoise garden at the balcony and put them in brumation for the colder months (but that's not the way for anxious keepers).

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Have you ever thought about getting a box turtle? Turtles have great personalities.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Box turtles need more room than being offered as well.
I'm aware of that, thank you. I was thinking about size when full grown.

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California
Do you know if they are a friendly species or more shy?
My Egyptians are still young but they are very busy walking all around their enclosure from the time I soak them in the morning until early afternoon - or course they take frequent naps during this time too. They are curious and brave. I am not sure if they are as easy to care for as Russians and some of the other tortoises mentioned. I have one of the Smart Enclosure’s so my humidity, lights and temperatures are regulated. I can sleep peacefully at night and leave them unattended during the day knowing that they have the habitat they need. I have read that they can be shy but mine are not shy at all.

Reactions: Ink