Thinking about a russian tort

Vaygapawz

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and I'm thinking about getting a russian tortoise. I have some reptile experience, owning a ball python and 3 whites tree frogs. I'm open to other tortoises as well, but what I'm looking for is an interactive, small tort that can stay in a 2x4 enclosure. I would love to go bigger, but I unfortunately don't have the space. I would like to interact with my tortoise, but I'm not quite sure how. I know I can feed, bathe, and take my little guy outside, but can I simply sit on the couch and watch tv with a tort? Do tortoises like getting out of their enclosure? My other option for the next addition to my home is a bearded dragon. I love their personality, but for the past few years I've always wanted a tortoise.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
A tortoise needs much more room than that. Especially a Russian tortoise. 2 x 4 would only work for a hatchling. I don't know anything about bearded dragons but they might work better in a small enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to inform you that there is no tortoise species that can live in a 2x4 enclosure. Its just too small and tortoises need room to roam and move about.

Outside time is great in a proper enclosure, but you would still need something bigger inside.

There are lots of awesome reptiles that could do just fine in a tank that size though. A single beardie or a Blue Tongue Skink would do just fine in something that size.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Tortoises need a minimum of 4/8 foot enclosure . They will be always trying to climb out of the enclosure and drive you mad if it's to small . If you had a shed out back that you could build a nice big indoor enclosure for winter with a door that leads outside for summer that would be best . We have a good care sheet on the Russian tortoise read it then if you fill you can meet it's needs then get you one . Welcome to TFO!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Thanks for checking in here first to see what's best for you and for the tortoise, but that size enclosure is far too small, I'm afraid.
The tort would be miserable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You are making the same assumption/mistake that most first time tortoise keepers make - a small tortoise can be kept in a small space. This is simply not true. Russian tortoises are hard wired to wander over great distances looking for food. And even though you feed him enough to fill him up, he will still have that need to wander. 9 times out of 10, the newly imported russian tortoise will scratch at the corners of his container trying to dig out. He'll try to climb the walls, falling over on his back. Then he'll give up and stay hidden all the time.

If a tortoise can't be set up outside, where he belongs, then you must provide a large indoor habitat that gives him the space he needs to wander.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Tortoises aren't interactive pets. They aren't snugglers. They're wild animals that need a lot of space. That space should not be the floor of a house, it's not safe and doesn't offer what they need.

It sounds like you're not ready to have a tortoise yet. It's good you're checking it out first. You'd need much more space indoors and out, and a different set of expectations about the sort of relationship you can have. Basically, it's all obligation on our parts. They show interest because we are food gods, but expecting companionship from them is going to be stressful for them and disappointing to you.

Vaygapawz

Thanks for all the fast replies! I live in Alberta, so an outdoor enclosure will never work. I also have a boxer who enjoys going outside to dig , another reason I can't do outdoor enclosures. My tort would definitely be outside a lot though! So any type of tortoise needs at least a 4x8? From all the research I've done every website has said a Russian will do great in a 2x4. I will definitely read the care sheet here, but are there any other good care sheets you guys can recommend?

Vaygapawz

Tortoises aren't interactive pets. They aren't snugglers. They're wild animals that need a lot of space. That space should not be the floor of a house, it's not safe and doesn't offer what they need.

It sounds like you're not ready to have a tortoise yet. It's good you're checking it out first. You'd need much more space indoors and out, and a different set of expectations about the sort of relationship you can have. Basically, it's all obligation on our parts. They show interest because we are food gods, but expecting companionship from them is going to be stressful for them and disappointing to you.

I'm aware they don't really show affection or anything like that, but I have heard they come to recognize their owner and some even enjoy neck rubs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for all the fast replies! I live in Alberta, so an outdoor enclosure will never work. I also have a boxer who enjoys going outside to dig , another reason I can't do outdoor enclosures. My tort would definitely be outside a lot though! So any type of tortoise needs at least a 4x8? From all the research I've done every website has said a Russian will do great in a 2x4. I will definitely read the care sheet here, but are there any other good care sheets you guys can recommend?

The internet is full of misinformation. Don't believe everything that you read. 2x4 is too small. Will they drop dead the moment their feet touch the substrate in a 2x4? No. But over the long haul the stress and lack of space will take a toll. We are not interested in providing the minimum needed to survive here. We are interested in providing optimal conditions wherever possible.

Your tortoise will need a large enclosure outside. Turning them loose leads to disaster. Given your climate, your tortoise will spend most of the year inside, so it will be especially important for you to have the correct indoor facilities. And also, please be aware that your dog is the biggest single threat to your tortoise. Please take precautions and avoid this common disaster.

This might offer some insight:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . You've got a lot of good info. Now you can decide . Have a great tort day !

Vaygapawz

thanks for the article Tom, it was helpful. I'm going to start over and ask you guys yet more questions:)
1. What is the best beginner tortoise?
What enclosure size will it need?
2. What can I do with my tortoise? Is it an observation pet, or can I frequently take it out for some exercise?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I too have seen massively contradictory information on many sites on the web.
But I firmly believe that Tortoise Forum is the best and has the most up to date information available as well as a plethora of experienced keepers and breeders who are happy to share their wealth of knowledge.
It's not always information you want to hear, but please take heed.

Vaygapawz

I agree that this forum has the best, most easily understood information. I am leaning more towards the Greek tortoise. From the information I've gathered, they do pretty good in a smaller, indoor enclosure. For the enclosure, would it work if I did a 5x3 with another level on top?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'm aware they don't really show affection or anything like that, but I have heard they come to recognize their owner and some even enjoy neck rubs.
They are aware of us and like being fed. Some enjoy limited handling. They are certainly more than living rocks. But I still wouldn't consider them interactive. Maybe I define it narrowly and you define it loosely.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
5 by 3 with a second level could work for a greek.
I have a greek and she is beautiful, interactive and loves being stroked.
I have built a very close relationship with her since she was a baby, but ultimately i'm still just the food god and neck scratcher.
Try to give outdoor time as well when you can. They love the sun and fresh air.
And she does recognize me, i'm certain of it. By a mixture of sight, smell and vibrations, she knows me from others.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thanks for the article Tom, it was helpful. I'm going to start over and ask you guys yet more questions:)
1. What is the best beginner tortoise?
What enclosure size will it need?
2. What can I do with my tortoise? Is it an observation pet, or can I frequently take it out for some exercise?

1. This could be defined so many ways. In general I think any of the Testudo species, so Russian, Hermanni, Greek and Marginateds, make the best starter tortoises. They come from temperate climates, so our climate is usually not that far off from theirs. They hibernate in winter and they are usually hardy and adaptable to a variety of conditions. Any of these can be started as hatchlings in a 2x4, but will need something at least 4x8' as adults. Pancake tortoise could also work in an enclosure with a smaller footprint if you made more use of vertical space. A 3x6' enclosure with areas to climb would suit a pancake just fine.
2. Different people have different views on this. Some people treat them like puppies and others treat them as observation only pets. Either way can work. "Taking them out for exercise"? Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean out loose on the floor, then no. That is a bad idea and frequently leads to disaster. Tortoises should be getting their exercise in their properly sized and designed enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree that this forum has the best, most easily understood information. I am leaning more towards the Greek tortoise. From the information I've gathered, they do pretty good in a smaller, indoor enclosure. For the enclosure, would it work if I did a 5x3 with another level on top?

Greeks and russians are similarly sized with similar care needs. Generally Russians will be bolder, more outgoing and less fearful than Greeks, but there are exceptions both ways. Greeks are prettier.

A double decker 5x3' enclosure could work for either.

Vaygapawz

Thanks for such detailed responses, it's really appreciated. What I meant by 'taking them out for exercise' is just simply getting them out of the enclosure wether it be for a bath, or going outside. I'm really liking the Greeks, but now you've got me thinking about a pancake tortoise...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for such detailed responses, it's really appreciated. What I meant by 'taking them out for exercise' is just simply getting them out of the enclosure wether it be for a bath, or going outside. I'm really liking the Greeks, but now you've got me thinking about a pancake tortoise...

Soaking the tortoise is good. Going outside into a large proper secure enclosure during fair weather is excellent. Going outside to run around loose in the yard, is not a good idea.

With the questions you are asking about interaction with your tortoise, a greek or pancake would not be my first recommendation. Both species have a general reputation for shyness in comparison to others.