UPDATE ON MILO

DWB

5 Year Member
Vegas_Leopard said:
I just read your situation and it's much more different than my despise for people who buy a tortoise. You found a Sulcata, which to me is a rare encounter for anyone. You never chose to go and just buy one and I commend your willing efforts to provide the best that you can for charge. We all start somewhere and I know I have. This forum a long with the many more experienced members (not including me) will guide you to the raise your "gift" from Mother Nature in the absolute best way possible. This forum has the knowledge and you've got the tools. I wish you the best of luck with charge! :)

Thanks. The whole pet "Industry" is built around impulse purchases. We on this forum would, of course, research all care aspects for a prospective pet, as well as finding a reputable breeder.

But you just can't deny those baby torts, or puppies or kittens are so damn cute! My wife and I just 2 weeks ago spent the day touring reptile specialty pet stores, we hit 6 and a big box pet store. They all were full of Sulcata hatchlings, as well as baby everything else. I shudder to think of how many(few) will reach maturity.

I will publicly state here that I was part of this problem when I was a child. I liked reptiles, and my Dad would take me to pet stores, and we bought quite a few "chameleons" which I think were "anoles", inexpensive lizards that sold for just a couple of bucks. The pet store sold us a small cage and a tub of mealworms, maybe a book on lizards. Unfortunately, most of the poor anoles were short lived, and now I know that I was probably the cause, though I did not realize it at the time.

The stores that sold those pets did not ask if you knew what care would be required, other than to sell more supplies or feed. So should we blame the sellers or the buyers?

I hope that you can know we won't be able to fix this problem. What I hope for, is that out of those many impulse purchases that a certain percentage will find a place of knowledge such as this, and become ambassadors for proper care.

BTW, my tort has no name yet. "charge" was used as a noun, perhaps incorrectly. We have been too frightened to name the little one until we feel confident he will survive. We have, in the past, trapped, tested, inoculated, spay/neutered, and released quite a few feral cats that were born in our back yard. We did the same thing back then, referred to the kittens by traits or color, because the bond created with naming the youngins' made it so much more painful when they disappeared or met their demise in the street.

We do, in fact, feel confident now that our sully will have the best life possible, and can choose a name for him/her. My wife suggested "Lucky", for obvious reasons, but no consensus has been reached. Perhaps we will start a thread, as others have, about naming our tort. Dave

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
Milo is 2 months and 87 grams. Every day is something new..loving it!!
He is now eating cactus, and digging in his indoor viv. He keeps going back to the same spot where he escaped a month ago in his outdoor viv. He tries to climb the wall, and flips over on his back. This is a 8' x 8' area. When placed at the opposite end, he will run right back to that same spot. I have now boarded that corner off, for awhile. :) Other than being a little bratty sully, he is doing great!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Love watching him grow!! He is now 2 months and 9 days. Weighs 96 grams, and is 3". Still loves running around outside when weather is good. I added the RS 400 Monsoon to his inside viv. It works great!! Keeps humidity perfect!!

J_W

Colorado
Hi Scm133,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was wondering if you would supply some updated pictures if Milo? I love reading through threads that show the progress of a tortoise's growth. Milo is what 4 months now? I want to start one soon, once I get back from Michigan, that shows my sulcata's progress and update it monthly.

Thanks,
Jason

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
J. W. ,
I started one of those threads for my sulcata, Little Ricky. Updated regularly with pictures and his weight. After the first year though, it almost seemed redundant. I mean I see him every day and enjoy his antics, but I also hang out and focus more on my other guys now that he has passed the scary, critical stage of life. Does that make any sense?

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Hi Jason,
Yes, he is 4 months. Weight 152 grams, and 4". I am dealing with some minor pyramiding right now. But, he is active, and eating a ton! I will keep this updated monthly. At three months he was 122 grams, and 3.75"

J_W

Colorado
That's awesome, he is growing quick. I do see a bit of pyramiding, but he looks great.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Wow, he's almost caught up to my 1.5 year old! He was really tiny when I got him though, he had a rough start. But he's growing faster now that he's got proper care!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Thanks, Thanks!!
Yeah, I am a little frustrated with the pyramiding. His viv is covered. Humidity is staying at 80%. Temps are 95-100 Basking, and 80 degrees every where else. I bath him daily for 20-30 mins. Hopefully, it will not get any worse.

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Scm133 said:
Thanks, Thanks!!
Yeah, I am a little frustrated with the pyramiding. His viv is covered. Humidity is staying at 80%. Temps are 95-100 Basking, and 80 degrees every where else. I bath him daily for 20-30 mins. Hopefully, it will not get any worse.

How do you measure him out in grams? I don't have anything that sensitive to measure with

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
thegame2388 said:
Scm133 said:
Thanks, Thanks!!

How do you measure him out in grams? I don't have anything that sensitive to measure with
I have a digital scale that I use for my geckos. Any kitchen digital scales or postage scales will work. You know, it will be short term...since soon I will be using the bathroom scales...LOL!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
We were able to get outside today. He loved it!!! Ran all over the deck, and then in his outside enclosure. Gobbling grass and weeds. I only had him out for a short time. Ground temps were in the 80's, and his shell temp stayed in the 90's. He is 5 months and 181 grams.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Nice looking tort you got there [TURTLE]

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: UPDATE ON MILO

Scm133 said:
Thanks, Thanks!!

I'm thinking that it might be his diet, if the enclosure is of appropriate size.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
tffnytorts said:
Scm133 said:
Thanks, Thanks!!

I'm thinking that it might be his diet, if the enclosure is of appropriate size.
His enclosure is 6' x 2'. I am feeding him Spring Mix, Mazuri, Henbit, Dandelions, Chickweed, and occasional squash. He gets Herptivite and Calcium powder once a week on his greens. He also has a cuttlebone that I see him occasionally chew on. I started misting him 3-4 daily as suggested by Tom.