UPDATE ON MILO

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
It has been 4 weeks since a got Milo. He was 37 grams, and today he is 53 grams. Still nervous about raising this little guy. His temps in his indoor enclosure is good, but humidity stays 75-80%. I soak him 3 x daily. He is outside for one hour and seems to enjoy it. Eating and pooping good. Hope I am doing everything right.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Scm133 said:
It has been 4 weeks since a got Milo. He was 37 grams, and today he is 53 grams. Still nervous about raising this little guy. His temps in his indoor enclosure is good, but humidity stays 75-80%. I soak him 3 x daily. He is outside for one hour and seems to enjoy it. Eating and pooping good. Hope I am doing everything right.

Hello-you sound like me about my Redfoot-completely terrified I was not doing anything right-lol. Your baby is GORGEOUS-looks like you are doing something right! You came to the right place-the people on this forum are great and very helpful! :D

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Five weeks since we got Milo. He is 61 grams.
He escaped out of his 8x8 outdoor enclosure today. He must have found some high weeds near the timbers. Luckily, I found him close by. Time to add more landscape timbers. He only stays outside for 1-2 hours a day, and I am constantly checking on him. Looks like I will be building a top for sure!!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Milo is now 72 grams, 1 month and 21 days old.
Today was warm, and he enjoyed his 2 hour outing.

Attachments

• IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 73

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks perfect! Fantastic steady weight gain. All looks good.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Tom said:
He looks perfect! Fantastic steady weight gain. All looks good.
Thanks!!! I just finished upgrading his indoor enclosure to a 6' x 2'. At the moment, it is not completely enclosed, like suggested. I have modified two ZooMed Tortoise Tables. The humidity is staying around 75-80%. I am sure it is because of where I live..Florida. I am working on plexiglass to put over the top grates. Work in progress!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Milo @ 1 month 26 days. Weight 80 grams!!
IMG_2360.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
That's a damn good looking Sulcata! :D You're doing a fantastic job! Would you mind showing your enclosure you have setup? :)

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Vegas_Leopard said:
That's a damn good looking Sulcata! :D You're doing a fantastic job! Would you mind showing your enclosure you have setup? :)
Thanks! This forum has been great. I started reading all the information weeks before I got him.
I just recently updated his setup. I took two ZooMed Tortoise houses, and put them together. The far left is his humid hide with a ceramic heat emitter. It stays 80-82 with humidity at 75-80%. The basking spot has a Powersun Mercury Vapor. The far right has a Repti-Sun 10.0. I am replacing that BeanFarm heat mat with another Ceramic heat emitter today. I keep plexiglass over the grates to hold in the heat, and humidity.
IMG_2364.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I'm glad you started reading this forum before you got him, I'm assuming you had most of everything already setup and ready for him? I personally despise when people get a tortoise before they've learned about it or have anything setup for them. Looks like your enclosures working for you and it shows, keep up the fantastic work! He's going to be a monster in a few months! :D

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Vegas_Leopard said:
I'm glad you started reading this forum before you got him, I'm assuming you had most of everything already setup and ready for him? I personally despise when people get a tortoise before they've learned about it or have anything setup for them. Looks like your enclosures working for you and it shows, keep up the fantastic work! He's going to be a monster in a few months! :D
Yeah, when I got him, his original setup was a 40 long gallon tank, which I already had. The temps and humidity were good, but I just wanted something bigger. The ZooMeds came a week later. He is so much happier running laps in the ZooMeds. But he is truly the happiest outside. His shyness is gone, and he runs everywhere, stopping only to take a bite of grass or weeds. Thanks again!!

DWB

5 Year Member
Vegas_Leopard said:
I personally despise when people get a tortoise before they've learned about it or have anything setup for them.

That is the exact situation I found myself in a month ago! Thankfully, the kindness of others, including this forum has allowed me to get a quick education and cobble together a temporary living arrangement to provide our young Sulcata a decent environment.

Vegas_Leopard, I hope you can overcome your contempt for me, I really am trying to do my best for my young charge. I, and others, can use your experience and advice to provide the knowledge we are lacking. Dave

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
DWB said:
Vegas_Leopard said:
I personally despise when people get a tortoise before they've learned about it or have anything setup for them.

That is the exact situation I found myself in a month ago! Thankfully, the kindness of others, including this forum has allowed me to get a quick education and cobble together a temporary living arrangement to provide our young Sulcata a decent environment.

Vegas_Leopard, I hope you can overcome your contempt for me, I really am trying to do my best for my young charge. I, and others, can use your experience and advice to provide the knowledge we are lacking. Dave
Dave, I made that mistake 2 years ago when I purchased my first leopard gecko. I got the "setup kit" that the pet store recommended. After one week, I knew something was not right, and starting searching, and found a forum that set me straight. Little guy survived, and is now over 100 grams.

Lessoned learned. I always search out a reputable forum, and read their care sheets, and read their comments before purchasing anything. I did it with my Bearded Dragon, and my Sulcata Tortoise. Glad you found this forum!:D

DWB

5 Year Member
Scm133 said:
Thanks! This forum has been great. I started reading all the information weeks before I got him.
I just recently updated his setup. I took two ZooMed Tortoise houses, and put them together. The far left is his humid hide with a ceramic heat emitter. It stays 80-82 with humidity at 75-80%. The basking spot has a Powersun Mercury Vapor. The far right has a Repti-Sun 10.0. I am replacing that BeanFarm heat mat with another Ceramic heat emitter today. I keep plexiglass over the grates to hold in the heat, and humidity.

What a great looking hatchling! I just can't stop marveling at how interesting they are. What a great habitat you have put together. It puts the setup I am still assembling to shame.

With all these lamps and heaters and enclosures we are putting together, it looks like we are growing weed! In fact, I am going to have to dig out my old scale to weigh my Sully to measure his progress. I know I have read that you can grow them too fast, I just don't know what too fast is.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I just read your situation and it's much more different than my despise for people who buy a tortoise. You found a Sulcata, which to me is a rare encounter for anyone. You never chose to go and just buy one and I commend your willing efforts to provide the best that you can for charge. We all start somewhere and I know I have. This forum a long with the many more experienced members (not including me) will guide you to the raise your "gift" from Mother Nature in the absolute best way possible. This forum has the knowledge and you've got the tools. I wish you the best of luck with charge! :)
DWB said:

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Milo is growing beautifully, and his outdoor enclosure is just awesome! So jealous! It's getting cold in Wyoming, so no pretty outdoor living for Juju for a while. :(

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You do need to add a hardwire top to prevent predators from attacking your tort. 1/2" square grid should do nicely.

Good job and good luck.