Update on my new big guy

Bunny Ears

Location (City and/or State)
Key West
"Ani" , the 10 year old male Sulcata I acquired a few weeks ago, seems have come out of his proverbial shell once the weather warmed up a little and he relaxed into his new yard. He eats from my hand, so far his favorite treats seem to be bell peppers and starcluster flowers/leaves. The other day, he made sweet, sweet love to a rock. o_O

He's eating through the grass in my yard rather quickly. In the late afternoon I give him a big pile of spring mix with a bit of cucumber or tomato or pepper and maybe a small piece of fruit. I hope it's enough. I have no clue how heavy he actually is, his old owner estimated 80 lbs.

I think I'll need to supplement his diet more so he'll slow down on my lawn. But how best (and cheapest) to do this? I've tried adding timothy hay to the bottom of his evening spring mix, but he's not into it. Next, I'm going to try mixing it in with the greens, and I'll switch to orchard grass when this runs out. If that doesn't work perhaps Mazuri pellets?

I gave him a haypile to sleep in/on until I can come up with a better hide/house and I noticed he buried himself in on the last cool night. I'll post a couple pics of him in his resting spot. You'll perhaps notice I've given him a "license plate on a rear scute," a little dogtag with my phone and address in case he ever gets out, and some nonsense about "tracking ID number" in hopes of deterring thieves. My boyfriend affixed it with an adhesive called PC 7.

Still no interest in his water dish. Not big enough? He can't crawl into it. My attempts at making a decent mudpuddle are thwarted by dry season, the ground just drinks it all up! I also have a mucky minnow pond that I've seen him looking at, not sure how deep it is under that muck. I think I've set it up so that if he goes, in, he'll be able to climb out, but I'm keeping an eye on that situation.

So far I'm very much enjoying Ani he's fun to watch. I sure wish I could touch the skin on his head and neck though I want to feel it! I don't think he's ready for that. He's ok with me touching his shell but not his legs. I haven't tried the head

20200315_115656.jpgIMG_20200310_140307_853.jpg20200315_104800.jpg

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh man, he's a beauty!

Take a handful of the hay and cut it into inch long pieces. Do that with several handsful, then put them into a bowl of warm water to hydrate and make them less hard/stickery. Then put it on top of his pile of food.

You can supplement with grape leaves and mulberry leaves. They really like those items.

Look for a feed store that sells Purina products and ask them to order you a bag of Mazuri Tortoise Diet (not the LS ). Most tortoises really love moistened Mazuri and that would be good to fill him up so he'll cut back on ravaging the grass.

Bunny Ears

Key West
Thanks for those suggestions! I live in a city, no feed stores, but the local petsmart sell mazuri tortoise. I've been surprised to learn how many people on this island own tortoises! When I first posted a pic on social media, friends kept asking me "is that so-and-so's tortoise?" always a different person, lol. I learned that at least 2 other people I'm friendly with own big guys on their properties!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice looking Sully & great back garden. A nice (heated) & protected night box will do your tort wonders. Provide a nice safe & cozy place to snooze the night away. ??

Ps - a few of your “treats” arent the best for Sullies.

Check with the other tort keepers, they might have a good source for Mazuri. A very good “dig food like” large tort pellet that most torts love.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He's a handsome dude.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
He's a handsome dude.
Looks like you got a big boy, looks more than 80 lbs. Can't wait till mine get that big, nice smooth looking shell. Now he as a new friendhip with a rock.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I caught Ani drinking water!

View attachment 288481
Nice looking picture, looks like he's enjoying the sun light. It offical my Sammy now weighs 12lb
7 ozs. this morning, 12 1/2" long and 9" wide. Just got a new scale, have not weighed him for awhile. Here are a couple of pictures, he is soaking right now, going to take him outside for a little while.

Attachments

• 20200320_115052.jpg
    20200320_115052.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200315_205659.jpg
    20200315_205659.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200315_110555.jpg
    20200315_110555.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Oh my he's good looking!
Thank you, he turned 2 on Dec 21, 2019. He's a handful now, my grandchildren can't believe how fast he is growing. Can't wait until he get bigger, We love him so much.