Update to shell injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Called the colonie vet, there closed until tue so I left a message. I just sent my husband out neoaporan. I read that to treat the 2 infections caused by tortis shell injury is to do just that and make sure the area is clean. I have kept a close watch on her. She hasn't ate for 2 days now, not even a treat of pumpkin from my hand that she normally loves and she isn't opening her eyes. Not even during soaks :-( when she does move it is very slow and then she lays back down!! I'm so worried! I wish I new earlier!!! Poor baby

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I'm so sorry, there's always hope, best of luck to you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just keep the tortoise warm and quiet. Make sure there's a hiding place to get out of the light, but warm inside. I'm afraid Tuesday is going to be too late, but I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
I called a couple other vets and no answer :-( she did just eat a little romain and opens her eyes a little. It was right after I put the Neo on her, how often should I put it on? She's still out of it!!! :-( I feel so bad!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know you're going to feel bad about it, but in my opinion, this injury happened to the tortoise before you got it. Unless you recognized it right off the bat as an injury, there's really nothing you could have done about it other than choose a different baby. I know you're attached to the tortoise, but I still think you should show it to the pet store manager, letting him know how sick the baby is and that you're taking it to the vet. You may be able to get some of the purchase price back...or maybe even a replacement.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I know you're going to feel bad about it, but in my opinion, this injury happened to the tortoise before you got it. Unless you recognized it right off the bat as an injury, there's really nothing you could have done about it other than choose a different baby. I know you're attached to the tortoise, but I still think you should show it to the pet store manager, letting him know how sick the baby is and that you're taking it to the vet. You may be able to get some of the purchase price back...or maybe even a replacement.

Also let him know that how they are taking care of them isn't working that has caused you a great deal of pain from having to do through this , I really hope your little sullie pulls through :( cute little guy
No matter what I would politely as u can say something to the pets store manager

Brittany6

5 Year Member
I just wish I didn't think it was just dirt this whole time :-( I had been in the store 3 times so far and did nicely ask them about the temp and humidity in there enclosure and she said yes we use the dry method because there desert tortoises yadda and I told her about New research and how babies stay under ground until there at least 6 inches and it's believed the humidity is the reason there shells do not often pyramid in the wild and she just said oh...I will go back and tell them about Genevieve and what has happend. How do I ask for a refund? My husband bought her for me for Christmas. It's been a few weeks now :-( this is just terrible! I love her so much! Never been attached to a "animal" like this before. I was even thinking about getting a friend for her in a few months :-( she did eat a little though and open her eyes a little so that's good... Right? I'm holding out hope. I'm shocked that this is so bad!! Even when I saw her shell was not just dirty but cracked, I didn't think it could kill her. I'm heartbroken.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just want to wish you the best of luck. We're all hoping things work out for you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so sorry to read about your sick little baby. I sure hope all turns out okay for the both of you.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I really LOVE THIS forum! You all are such amazing supports and full of information! Last night I changed over her home into my old aquarium, gave her a nice long soak, put her med on her and she wonders her new home and ate, even opens her eyes!!!! I'm becoming more hopeful!!! I hope she gets through this!! I really found a love :) thanks again!

Attachments

• image-2088403851.png
    image-2088403851.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image-2358556061.png
    image-2358556061.png
    217 KB · Views: 8
  • image-2018445202.png
    image-2018445202.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 7

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Yay!! I think she's getting better, she has also pooped twice!!! Yay lol thanks again!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Brittany6 said:
Thanks everyone! I really LOVE THIS forum! You all are such amazing supports and full of information! Last night I changed over her home into my old aquarium, gave her a nice long soak, put her med on her and she wonders her new home and ate, even opens her eyes!!!! I'm becoming more hopeful!!! I hope she gets through this!! I really found a love :) thanks again!

Thats amazing!! :)
I bet if you keep medicating her a lot, keep her really warm, and really hydrated she might make it. Being very warm and very hydrated really helps baby sullies in my opinion, its hard though because the little babies dehydrate so fast.
Your doing great :):)

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Brittany6 said:
Yay!! I think she's getting better, she has also pooped twice!!! Yay lol thanks again!

Lol. I agree with you, pooping is a good sign. How is she doing?

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Thanks for asking!!! She is still kicking. Didn't eat again Sence the day before yesterday. She has pooped 3 times. Sence I have changed her bedding to the coco from the alfalfa pellets and made her habitat very humid she has seemed lethargic. It could be the infection if she does have one too. She mostly just sleeps all day. She used to constantly be moving around. Do babies sleep a lot or do you think this is her possible infection or her habitat? Thanks again for checking in on her. Also anyone on here sell baby leopards or sulcata's? I think I would like a friend for my baby :) thanks again!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Brittany6 said:
Thanks for asking!!! She is still kicking. Didn't eat again Sence the day before yesterday. She has pooped 3 times. Sence I have changed her bedding to the coco from the alfalfa pellets and made her habitat very humid she has seemed lethargic. It could be the infection if she does have one too. She mostly just sleeps all day. She used to constantly be moving around. Do babies sleep a lot or do you think this is her possible infection or her habitat? Thanks again for checking in on her. Also anyone on here sell baby leopards or sulcata's? I think I would like a friend for my baby :) thanks again!

The guy u wanna talk to is Tom :) he has sullie babies for sell. The two I bought from him are awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.