Updated Tortoise enclosure with Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

alzeal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA, USA
Hi all just wanted to post some updated pics of my enclosure. Just put some rocks and made a little cave for my little guy. Also just placed my first batch of sulcata seed mix from sulcatafood.com. This is after about 10 days since planting. I'm planting them in batches in little flats so I can switch them out. I also added an acrylic railing to his basking balcony, Levi kept doing a nose dive and I would find him doing the breast stroke in the air upside down :D Levi is fast asleep at this time in his little humid hide. I opted to switch out the previous container for a shoe box. Also took out the overhead heatpad and switched to a heat cable underneath the humid hide, the heat cable heats a lot faster and easier to adjust temps. Its hooked up to a dimmer for now. Still waiting for the thermostat controller in the mail. So far I can keep it around 80F. Left my remote probe in there. Levi has really been more active and eating voraciously since I've been putting him in the humid hide. Thanks to Tom of course for the advice about humidity heat and hydration.
SAM_0093.jpg
SAM_0098.jpg
SAM_0095.jpg
SAM_0094.jpg

SAM_0097.jpg
SAM_0096.jpg

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
I like the idea of the raised basking area. A nice touch that I think I might borrow the idea when I built my new table for my new pad!
I get a new pad, so does turbo! :p

alzeal

5 Year Member
Southern CA, USA
Haha thanks guys, already have ideas on the next enclosure when he gets bigger. Any enclosure for a sullie is a temporary one!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
alzeal said:
. Any enclosure for a sullie is a temporary one!

:D So true, whether they out grow them or demolish them. :D

What are your ideas?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Tank Names and Starcluster names.... VERY COOL:cool:

But why does boor Levi get cut out of the special bonds?

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Zamric said:
Tank Names and Starcluster names.... VERY COOL:cool:

But why does boor Levi get cut out of the special bonds?

Well it's short for Leviathan if that helps, he at least gets a mythology name. I just figure he can't consistently go by Leviathan until he weights at least five pounds ;)

Panzer and Abrams will get the same treatment by being Panzi and Abe until they live up to their names sizewise

alzeal

5 Year Member
Southern CA, USA
ShadowRancher said:
Very cool, love the upper level! (ps out torts have twin names :))

Haha yeah I know. When I first joined the forum, I was like wow Levi must be a popular tort name. My wife and I got the name from 2011, Eleven or "Levi" We're guessing from the year he/she hatched.

Jacqui said:
alzeal said:
. Any enclosure for a sullie is a temporary one!

:D So true, whether they out grow them or demolish them. :D

What are your ideas?
I'm definitely thinking about doing an underground outside enclosure like Tom did in his thread "Underground Tortoise Bunker" Something a little bigger with a small ladder and I could sit down in. Anyway hopefully I have a few years to plan...Hopefully :D

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
alzeal said:
ShadowRancher said:
Very cool, love the upper level! (ps out torts have twin names :))

Haha yeah I know. When I first joined the forum, I was like wow Levi must be a popular tort name. My wife and I got the name from 2011, Eleven or "Levi" We're guessing from the year he/she hatched.

haha! Nope I think it's just us :) that was a cool way to come up with a name...my friend and I were on our way home from the herp show mine came from and he just looks at me and goes "we need to name him something monolithic" and I I mediately responded "leviathan" and he was. It's kind of too bad my beardie is already Hydra or my two new babies could have been hydra and Kraken. But I kind of like leaving Levi special.

Status
Not open for further replies.