Urgent help needed!! (sand impaction)

Amy-louu

My tortoise looks like he's having a fit!
I took him to the vets the other day and I found he was impacted with sand that he'd been eating. She gave me reptiboost and some lactose. I've bathed him 2 times in the reptiboost and I gave him the lactose with a bit of apple as we couldn't get him to take it otherwise.
This is almost 6 hours later and I've just checked on him and there is a piece of apple next to him and some light brown watery substance on the other side of him.
His mouth is quivering and he keeps extending his head extremely far and pulling it back in. He looks like he's having a fit/choking. I'm so worried I have no idea what to do and I really need any advice possible.
I tried putting him in a warm bath but it didn't help at all.
He's also passed a sticky gel like substance so I thought maybes he was finally passing some of the sand but this surely isnt normal.
No vet is open at this time

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
it sounds like he may have been sick. i would keep him warm. hopefully one of the more experienced members will see this soon and be able to offer more advice.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I'm fairly new to this, but I would continue doing the warm soaks, at least 30 minutes, and maybe try to feed him aloe. They love it and I have heard that it helps to get things moving. @Tom and @Yvonne G will be much more helpful.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would also keep up the soaking, as I THINK (hopefully someone more experienced can confirm this) impaction of this kind happens due to dehydration, as they should have passed this normally otherwise. This is why sand is never recommended as substrate.

Good luck and I hope Yvonne or Tom can pop in soon to help you out.

Did anything, like that weird brown stuff near the apple, look like it could have been some sand he passed?

Amy-louu

Unfortunately he's just passed away. I think while straining to get rid of the sand he's suffered a heart attack as he was pushing that hard and with him being so small he couldn't handle it.
It was his birthday tomorrow as well :(

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry for your loss. Could it be that the tort has just gone into a coma? I've read that it's difficult to tell when a tort has expired.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's awful. I'm so very sorry.

Amy-louu

Thanks everyone. Hopefully one day in the future I'll get another. They really are the best pets! Ludo was the most friendliest little guy I could ever have asked for. I just hope he didn't suffer :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks everyone. Hopefully one day in the future I'll get another. They really are the best pets! Ludo was the most friendliest little guy I could ever have asked for. I just hope he didn't suffer :(

So that a good lesson may be learned from your loss and to prevent this from happening to someone else, may I ask where and how he was ingesting sand?

My condolences on the passing of your beloved pet.