Urgent help required!!! (drinking but not eating)

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Very concerned about one of my new leopard tortoises!! :( It (Wispa) seems to be drinking a lot of water but not eating much. We brought it home at the beginning of this week and, after giving her chance to settle down a bit, we weighed her this morning and it is only weighing 80 grams compared to the other one (Skittles) we bought at the same time who is the same age, presumably from the same batch, who weighs 95 grams and is eating fine on the kind of diet a leopard tort should have. We have tried to give Wispa the same good diet and she turns her nose up at it or just has a little nibble and I've also tried to give her some cucumber and lettuce chopped up and mixed with what it should be eating in case it was previously on a bad diet with the aim of then gradually reducing the bad stuff. Again Wispa just nibbles at it. She does seem a little bit more enthusiastic about hibiscus leaves but she can't survive on them alone and she still doesn't seem to eating anywhere near enough of these compared to what Skittles is eating. I hope this info is all clear enough to mean that someone can help me as I am really worried about my little Wispa :(

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
RE: Urgent help required!!!

Are you monitoring them while they eat? Something that could be happening is that Skittles might be bullying Wispa. Try separating them when it comes to feeding time. Another reason could be because she's still adjusting to her new home. Some torts adjust fairly quick but others might take a while. Something i would start doing is beginning soaking her everyday. As long as they are hydrated, they can actually last weeks w/ out eating. Another thing i like to do when soaking, i use baby food. I add it to the water so she can at least get some nutrients in her. One last thing, if there is bullying in progress, i would separate the two quickly! This are just some of the things that could be the issue of her not eating. I know others will come soon to give you some advice.

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus

Jlant85 said:
Are you monitoring them while they eat? Something that could be happening is that Skittles might be bullying Wispa. Try separating them when it comes to feeding time. Another reason could be because she's still adjusting to her new home. Some torts adjust fairly quick but others might take a while. Something i would start doing is beginning soaking her everyday. As long as they are hydrated, they can actually last weeks w/ out eating. Another thing i like to do when soaking, i use baby food. I add it to the water so she can at least get some nutrients in her. One last thing, if there is bullying in progress, i would separate the two quickly! This are just some of the things that could be the issue of her not eating. I know others will come soon to give you some advice.
Yeah i've been monitoring them while they are eating and no bullying been going on but i did feed them seperately this morning anyway so i could monitor Wispa closely. She actually soaks herself throughout the day as well I've noticed, living in Cyprus the water in their saucer is always warm anyway and the saucer is the kind of depth i would soak them in given the size of them. Should i stop worrying for a few days? i was worried that maybe she's got worms but is it the case in tortoises as with other animals that they will eat a lot and still lose weight? It that's the case then I doubt she has worms but if she doesn't start eating by Monday then I may consider having to take her to the one vets we have on Cyprus who has knowledge of tortoises.... worry worry worry... but thanks for your advice

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Urgent help required!!!

Try baby food soak. That sometime helps when it comes to my tortoises. Are they hatchlings?

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus

Jlant85 said:
Try baby food soak. That sometime helps when it comes to my tortoises. Are they hatchlings?

No they're not hatchlings... do you recommend any particular type or flavour of baby food? presumably a vegetable based one?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California

nicola.g said:
Jlant85 said:

No they're not hatchlings... do you recommend any particular type or flavour of baby food? presumably a vegetable based one?

I like to use carrot. ^_^ my torts would actually dunk their heads down every time i use this.

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus

Jlant85 said:
nicola.g said:
Jlant85 said:

I like to use carrot. ^_^ my torts would actually dunk their heads down every time i use this.

Cool thank you so much for your help .. i'll get some ready just in case i can't get Wispa to eat properly this weekend :)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California

Yeah no problem. I'll subscribe to this thread. Keep us updated on this thread so we wouldnt have to jump around.

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus

Jlant85 said:
Yeah no problem. I'll subscribe to this thread. Keep us updated on this thread so we wouldnt have to jump around.
Yeah hopefully I won't end up looking like your profile pic thru worry bout Wispa lol

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California

Lol. I've been meaning to change that.

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus

Jlant85 said:
nah it's cool... and it's how i'm feeling about Wispa at the minute... just as long as I don't lose my hair as well :D

nicola.g said:
Jlant85 said:
nah it's cool... and it's how i'm feeling about Wispa at the minute... just as long as I don't lose my hair as well :D

you've changed it lol... cute tort tho... what type is it?