Urgent! (lighting question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex17

5 Year Member
My RTs heat bulb died and the replacement bulb I had for him is 150 watts. what should the temp in his enclosure be? I have Aspen bedding and I'm just concerned that it could catch on fire. I've poured water in his tank to keep it moist, but I just want to know this isn't too hot for him

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
RE: Urgent!

From what I've read through Google and this website temperatures should be around 95 in the day and not lower than 70 at night time.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado

95 is about right, mine is 95 but right under the lamp where they bask some times is about 103 -105 , with a cool side of 75 .... can you just move your light up a little more away from the substrate ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Alex:

Its not a good idea to pour water on your aspen bedding. It molds quite easy. Most of us prefer different substrates, like cocoa coir or cypress mulch, or even dirt from the garden.

I like to use 100 watt bulbs. The bigger bulbs provide too much light and heat for my purposes.

Alex17

5 Year Member
I did move the light away from the substrate a bit. I had a hard time deciding on a good substrate so I just settled on aspen, but now I'm seeing that maybe it wasn't the best choice. I think I'll switch over to the cocoa coir next. Thanks for the help! Its about 92 degrees in there right now so he's doing well

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
My torts like to burrow at night in aspen which is on one side in the hide. Then I have cypress/organic topsoil/coir in the main area. So it is OK to have more than one kind. You can separate them with large rocks, or a piece of wood. They can make a bit of a mess, but generally it stays separate.
I do add water to the substrate in the main area.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Basking temps 95-110 directly under the basking light. Ambient daytime temps mid 70's at the cool end, around the basking light at the warmer end should be in the low to mid 80's from the heat produced by the basking light. Night time heat as low as 50 degrees but no higher than 65 degrees with around 58-62 being ideal. 70 degrees at night is much too warm. Russians and other northern Testudo species should have a 15-20 degree temperature differential night to daytime for normal activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.