Uromastyx

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
I've been considering a Uromastyx as my newest member of the family. And someone said that sand with white Miller seed is a good substrate. And they are mostly vegetarian but do they need insects sometimes? And I know the temps and I have a 35 gallon tank with sliding doors and a screen top. Do the attitudes and size depend on the breeds of Uromastyx? Or is it like morphs of ball python?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would not keep them on sand.

I never fed mine insects, but a guy like Doug at DeerFernFarms would be the person to send that question to.

The different species do attain different sizes and have different personalities. For example Egyptians get bigger and ornates stay smaller.

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
You know anything about Mali or Saharan? Red form

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
image.jpeg I have a Saharan. I never feed bugs. I don't use sand for the same reasons I don't use it for torts, might cause impaction. I don't know if it could in Uro's but seems to me it likely could. They need a long enclosure, length more then height. Some get bigger then others, so depending on what you get, the enclosure should be long enough for its size.
Mine is sweet mannered but doesn't want to be held long and then it wants to get loose and explore. If they get out, mine has three times, they find a cold dark place and stay there until you find them. I feed mine greens, bird seed and dried Beans like peas, etc. Some suggest bird seed as a substrate. I think that's a waste of money and I don't want mine eating the ground he poops on. I use coconut coir and wood chips. The picture of him having a warm soak during one of his shedding times. I love the little guy, but would do a bearded dragon again next time. They are less hyper, at least mine was.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You know anything about Mali or Saharan? Red form

I've kept a few in years past, but I don't consider myself experienced enough to give specifics on their care. I'd rather you get specific advice from someone much better versed with both the Genus and the individual species. I know of no better resource than Doug Dix for Uro info.

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
So do all of you guys think a beards would be better?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So do all of you guys think a beards would be better?
The reason for picking a bearded is I was able to be more hands on. I could put him on a log in the window and he would stay there for hours. I could hold him without him wanting to run away. My Uro never last more then about 2 minutes and he wants to run.

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
Do you think that could depend on the species of Uromastyx because I've heard some just like to be lazy?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine does seem lazy. The few times he got out on his own, he just went to a dark cooler place and went to sleep until we found him. He was so deep sleeping, I thought he was dead. Took a lot to wake him. But when I take him out. He crawls on me, licks me, checks things out for a bit, then tries to climb/jump off me. When he does get put done, he's on the run. I'm sure they are all different. I'm sure some beardies won't sit on the log all day. I've only had one of each. So I'm not real sure what is the most common behavior. However, I have seen more calm beardies.