Using mealworms in bioactive enclosure?

Psych_Lover

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I'm wanting to make my baby Sulcata 's enclosure bioactive. I looked it up and found that mealworms can be used for bioactive enclosures but I don't know if they're good for a Sulcata. I have a ton as food for my leopard gecko so there would be no shortage of them. I'm also looking into getting pill bugs, would they be good together or?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm wanting to make my baby Sulcata 's enclosure bioactive. I looked it up and found that mealworms can be used for bioactive enclosures but I don't know if they're good for a Sulcata. I have a ton as food for my leopard gecko so there would be no shortage of them. I'm also looking into getting pill bugs, would they be good together or?
Pill bugs (isopods) and springtails will work. Mealworms turn into rather large beetles and I'm not sure if they're helpful or not.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mealworms aren't a great food for your gecko and certainly have no place in a tortoise enclosure. The isopods should be fine, but you will get springtails and phorid flies going if you do nothing at all, and those do the same thing.