Using Springtails to keep a heated house clean

Rodney Earl Pettway

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Hello,
I was wondering if it is recommended to use springtails to keep a heated house clean? The house no floor. It is just coconut coir mixed with the natural dirt from the ground.

Thank you for your time.

Rodney Earl Pettway

Houston, Texas
Some potato bugs would help a little. Springtail populations like to boom and fizzle out. They may have a constant turd supply, but you don’t want to leave turds in there that long.

Kendall has been living in her heated house for 4 years and we have only taken the turds out once.
We have never had a problem.
Nature has been doing a good job with decomposing the turds. I was just curious about if the springtails would be a added benefit.
Thank you for your input.

Rodney Earl Pettway

Houston, Texas
Some potato bugs would help a little. Springtail populations like to boom and fizzle out. They may have a constant turd supply, but you don’t want to leave turds in there that long.

What are potato bugs? I tried to look them up but what I found didn’t make any sense to me.
Thanks for your time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Rodney! Long time no see! How have you been? Kendall looks great in your avatar pic.

I don't think springtails or isopods are going to be able to do much with the volume of waste created by a larger sulcata. They won't hurt anything, but I don't think they will make much of a dent either.

Rodney Earl Pettway

Houston, Texas
Hey Rodney! Long time no see! How have you been? Kendall looks great in your avatar pic.

I don't think springtails or isopods are going to be able to do much with the volume of waste created by a larger sulcata. They won't hurt anything, but I don't think they will make much of a dent either.

Cool, thanks

aqualungs

Perry, OH
All those critters may be a good addition to clean up any remnants you might not get or see.