Using the bathtub for soaks

geofftech

Location (City and/or State)
Orland Park
Help! My 3.5 yr old Leopard Charlie has outgrown every plastic tub we've gotten for bathing. I remember as a hatchling they said avoid the bathtub for soaks because of remnants of soap or detergents from it being cleaned. Is that different for an adult or is there a cleaner we can use to prep it before soaking him? We're really out of options and need to get him his soaks - for hydration and digestion. Thanks in advance.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Help! My 3.5 yr old Leopard Charlie has outgrown every plastic tub we've gotten for bathing. I remember as a hatchling they said avoid the bathtub for soaks because of remnants of soap or detergents from it being cleaned. Is that different for an adult or is there a cleaner we can use to prep it before soaking him? We're really out of options and need to get him his soaks - for hydration and digestion. Thanks in advance.
i wouldn’t suggest it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Once our now 80 or so pound Sully was too large for the kitchen sink, i soaked her in our bathtub for a long time w/o any issues. Give the tub a good spray down first if you are concerned. I never did - no issues. I only stopped when it was too difficult to lug an 80 lb bolder up two flights of steps coupled with lifting a slippery Sully out of the tub. Not the best for ones back. (This was during indoor Winter time).

Check into these...all sizes out there

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-stock-tank-110-gal

Good luck.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
At hardware stores or livestock stores they have these big metal tub things, I'm sure one of those would be great to soak a huge tortoise in.

geofftech

Orland Park
So we actually attempted one of those from farm and fleet. Poor Charlie really freaked out in it... I don't know if it was the high walls or the metal or what. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've always been leery of using galvanized tubs. My husband was a welder and I vaguely remember something about a toxic coating during the process. I have a 300 or 600 gallon (I don't remember exactly) galvanized water tub for my snapper, but I've lined it with pond liner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bathtubs work fine. I just rinse it with water thoroughly and wipe it down with my hand. I did that for many years, and never had any problem. I used a kitty litter scoop to get most of the poop and large pieces out after, and then drained and rinsed the tub. If anyone was going to use that tub, I would bleach it out.