Uv light??

rebeccamurray

Hi I'm am totally new to all this and has only had my tortoise 3 days a have just bought a timer for my uv bulb but I am not sure how long to have it on for? Can anyone help please. Thanks

mikeh

5 Year Member
If it was recommended by the pet store it sounds like a compact fluorescent. If that is so I would return the bulb as these are known to cause damage to tortoises eyes.

Long tube fluorescent is a best choice if no heat is desired. If heat is desired Mercury Vapor bulb by MegaRay or Zoomed is an option.

I looked at your enclosure. Do you have a ceramic heat emitter in there for heat? If yes you will go with long fluorescent tube. Since you are in UK Arcadia Is your choice.

rebeccamurray

mikeh said:
If it was recommended by the pet store it sounds like a compact fluorescent. I would return the bulb as these are known to cause damage to tortoises eyes.

Long tube fluorescent is a best choice if no heat is desired. If heat is desired Mercury Vapor bulb by MegaRay or Zoomed is an option.

It's a long tube fluorescent but I also have a heat bulb aswell as I live in the UK.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Long tube fluorescent UVB is great. Keep the UVB and heat on 10-14 hours a day.

matt9626

I use a UV light for 12 hours a day and a heat bulb 24/7.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

mikeh

5 Year Member
Given the OP lives in UK and its a Russian tortoise no heat is needed at night.

Generally no night heat is needed for Russian tortoise housed indoors. Unless the house gets below around 55F.