UV meter

Scott&taco

Location (City and/or State)
Porsgrunn, norway
I was reading toms care guide for hermanns, horsefields,etc, and I saw that you need/ should have a UV meter, and I don’t have one. Could someone recommend a good, not overly expensive meter that I could afford? As a teen it’s hard to get my hands on a lot of money, living off pocket money 😅. I’ve been buying the bulbs as the manufacturer advises but I don’t want to waste a good bulb. It would also help if any Norwegian users adviced on good uv meters in Norwegian stores as delivery costs from the USA and such is frankly ridiculous, but if it’s necessary I have no problem paying that extra £30 or whatever it is for delivery

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There is only one meter that will give the readings you need - SolarMeter 6.5. Unfortunately all other meters and devices you see will give false and totally inacurate readings as far as UVB is concerned - and that is what we need to monitor. There is just no cheap way to build a meter that works to measure the bioactive range of UVB.

Scott&taco

Porsgrunn, norway
There is only one meter that will give the readings you need - SolarMeter 6.5. Unfortunately all other meters and devices you see will give false and totally inacurate readings as far as UVB is concerned - and that is what we need to monitor. There is just no cheap way to build a meter that works to measure the bioactive range of UVB.
Thanks for the advice, I don’t know what I will do as the solar meter 6.5 is way out of my price range, even if I save up it will take a year or two to get my hands on it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the advice, I don’t know what I will do as the solar meter 6.5 is way out of my price range, even if I save up it will take a year or two to get my hands on it
Do you have ZooMed products in your country? Can they order ZooMed product for you? ZooMed sells this same meter with their own sticker on it called the "6.5R".

Without a meter there is no way to know what is happening under your UV tubes. Could be too much, or it could be not enough. In your colder northern climate, it seems pretty important to provide good indoor UV.

Scott&taco

Porsgrunn, norway
Do you have ZooMed products in your country? Can they order ZooMed product for you? ZooMed sells this same meter with their own sticker on it called the "6.5R".

Without a meter there is no way to know what is happening under your UV tubes. Could be too much, or it could be not enough. In your colder northern climate, it seems pretty important to provide good indoor UV.
I will inquire at my local pet stores, thanks for the advice