UVA/UVB ?

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
Hey everyone since I am new here I am confused on what to do for the vitamins for the tort? When it's a baby does it need a UVA or UVB bulb in addition to the heat lamp (does it need one? ) sorry I am new at this. Also what's the difference between UVA and UVB ? I have a bunch if questions I am sorry for all these questions I just want this to work out well for my tort. When it's a hatchling could I out in in a Rubbermaid container and what would happen to keep the humidity in? And how do I prevent mold on the substrate? What would be the substrate? Aldo what are your guys opinion on tort pellets? Also what is the best place to get a tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, needs UVA/UVB. Coconut coir does not mold and holds humidity well. Tort pellets like Mazuri as food is good as part of a wide varied diet. Pellets like some use for substrate is bad. Putting a top on the enclosure will help hold heat and humidity in. So, depending on the kind of tort you get or have, will depend on the temps, humidity and diet needed and the size enclosure.

the_dude_abides

I think it would benefit you to read all of Tom's and other informative articles. Someone suggested to you earlier and your posting another question that has been covered. There is a lot of great info from Tom and many others on here. Search is your best friend.

EDIT: Im not trying to come off rude, but the info is everywhere and you dont have to wait for someone to answer. Its a fun and enlightening process i assure you!

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
I'm in Massachusetts so the winters are long and get can get pretty bad as we having a bad snowstorm. What's a good diet for a hatchling? And where do I get one? Obviously I'm not getting one from petco

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thatkiidsean said:
I'm in Massachusetts so the winters are long and get can get pretty bad as we having a bad snowstorm. What's a good diet for a hatchling? And where do I get one? Obviously I'm not getting one from petco

Every question you are asking is answered thoroughly in the above links. Please take a few minutes to read them.

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
Tom thanks so much for all your helpful links! They really help a lot!

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
What's a good website to get mazuri from? And what's the feeding instructions on it?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
thatkiidsean said:
What's a good website to get mazuri from? And what's the feeding instructions on it?

Here is the Mazuri website. http://www.mazuri.com/tortoise.aspx?WT.mc_id=google_cpc_mazuri_mazuri2012&WT.srch=1
I suggest you start with a 1 lb. bag. Unfortunately, or not, they don't have the new fromula in 1 lb bags, so if you order you will get the old formula. It has been around forever and works just fine, so don't worry about it now.

You could look through the For Sale section of the forum for some of your other needs.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forum-26.html

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
Would you have to moisten the mazuri? Or just feed the pellets the way it is ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak it to make it mushy. Usually I mix it in with other chopped greens or grass too. I use it twice a week most of the time.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
thatkiidsean said:
Would you have to moisten the mazuri? Or just feed the pellets the way it is ?

Babies would have a hard time eating it dry. Some juveniles and adults do eat it dry. I have always moistened it for my tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thatkiidsean said:
Just moisten it and mush it up? And mix it greens ?

I use a small clean bowl. Add a small amount of water and wait. If it absorbs all the water and its still not quite mushy enough, thread a little more water. You don't want to add too much water, leach out the nutrients and then dump the excess water. You want only enough water to make it mushy.

Mixing it with greens or chopped grass is optional.