UVB and Basking lights.

He_Who_Yeets

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Fe
Building a tortoise enclosure, for the basking light I was going to use a 65w flood type bulb. Is there any significant difference between a halogen or incandescent bulb other than incandescent bulbs producing a little more heat?
As for the UVB lighting, do standard fluorescent lights produce adequate UVB for a tortoise assuming they're mounted a foot or two above the enclosure?
Should I also include some regular LED lights in the enclosure solely for the purpose of lighting? Or will a Basking light and a florescent light or two, assuming fluorescent lights are adequate for a tortoise's UVB requirements, suffice in a relatively well lit room?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Building a tortoise enclosure, for the basking light I was going to use a 65w flood type bulb. Is there any significant difference between a halogen or incandescent bulb other than incandescent bulbs producing a little more heat?
As for the UVB lighting, do standard fluorescent lights produce adequate UVB for a tortoise assuming they're mounted a foot or two above the enclosure?
Should I also include some regular LED lights in the enclosure solely for the purpose of lighting? Or will a Basking light and a florescent light or two, assuming fluorescent lights are adequate for a tortoise's UVB requirements, suffice in a relatively well lit room?
What size/type enclosure and for what species? That'll help everyone to give you the best info.

Incandescent works best for the basking site. Mine is a 65watt as well and I have it on a rheostat just in case it gets too hot.
As for uvb, you will want a uvb HO tube bulb. Not just a regular incandescent tube bulb.
LED lights will depend on what you are planning with your enclosure and also what tortoise you have. I have an extra LED light in my leopards chamber, but not my redfoots, because they like it dimmer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Halogens cause pyramiding. Those shouldn't be used.

Standard florescent bulbs produce no UV. They are specifically designed to not emit any UV. You must buy specialized reptile tubes if you need indoor UV.

I would add additional LED lighting for brightness during the day.

What species? What size?

He_Who_Yeets

Santa Fe
Halogens cause pyramiding. Those shouldn't be used.

Standard florescent bulbs produce no UV. They are specifically designed to not emit any UV. You must buy specialized reptile tubes if you need indoor UV.

I would add additional LED lighting for brightness during the day.

What species? What size?
Eastern Hermann's, a yearling so probably 2 or 3 inches long.

4'x4' enclosure but with an additional 3'x1.5' floor w/ a ramp leading up to it.

Found an excellent UVB chart on Zoomed's website, will probably place light/UVB fixtures about 12" above each of the platforms.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eastern Hermann's, a yearling so probably 2 or 3 inches long.

4'x4' enclosure but with an additional 3'x1.5' floor w/ a ramp leading up to it.

Found an excellent UVB chart on Zoomed's website, will probably place light/UVB fixtures about 12" above each of the platforms.

Give this a read: