uvb/eastern boxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
What wattage of UVB is good for eastern box turtles? I am using a 100 bulb that is
uvb/uva both. I am now regretting this because they seem to mostly stay in their hide now. I have read different things. I read it is too strong for them because they like shade.I have also read it is good to get for an eastern.

I hope someone can help me.
I keep them outside in warm weather so they get natural sun then! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they are outside with the good old sun, you don't need any artificial uvb. If you are using a mvb, I do believe they are too strong.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
How ol are your box turtles? I have found contradicting information on the uvb for eastern box turtles. I have one soon to be two and both are hatchlings only about 1" but I know from all my research and conversations with Terryo that they will hide a lot. As for uvb I use a 5.0 15" tube light. For older box turtles I don't see why a 100w MVB would be a problem but I just read about the "burn" of an MVB and that for the first week or so they will put out crazy amounts of uv then will settle after the burn to a normal amount. That is what I know but hopefully other box turtle owners/experts will help out XD but feel free to ask Terryo any questions she has helpped me a lot and she has amazing (and that is an under statment) viv's/gardens for all her torts

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I keep them outside in warm weather. They are inside now because of cold weather! yuck
I wanted them to have uvb inside during winter. Do you think 100 rep sun uvb/uva is too
much for them?

Rover15 said:
How ol are your box turtles? I have found contradicting information on the uvb for eastern box turtles. I have one soon to be two and both are hatchlings only about 1" but I know from all my research and conversations with Terryo that they will hide a lot. As for uvb I use a 5.0 15" tube light. For older box turtles I don't see why a 100w MVB would be a problem but I just read about the "burn" of an MVB and that for the first week or so they will put out crazy amounts of uv then will settle after the burn to a normal amount. That is what I know but hopefully other box turtle owners/experts will help out XD but feel free to ask Terryo any questions she has helpped me a lot and she has amazing (and that is an under statment) viv's/gardens for all her torts

Thank you very much! :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I use 5.0 reptisun bulbs for the winter and try to get them outside the rest of the year !

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
pryncesssc said:
I use 5.0 reptisun bulbs for the winter and try to get them outside the rest of the year !

Is this type of bulb different than the spiral bulbs that are said to harm tortoise eyes? It is not spiral but had straight tubes but I wasn't sure if it was in the same category or not. Thamks

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
MasterOogway said:
pryncesssc said:

Is this type of bulb different than the spiral bulbs that are said to harm tortoise eyes? It is not spiral but had straight tubes but I wasn't sure if it was in the same category or not. Thamks

The tube lights are safe the coil ones are too bright

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
MasterOogway said:

Yes I use the 18 inch long tubes

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use tube flourescents. I use 5.0 ReptiGlo. I wouldn't go stronger than a 5.0 bulb for boxies. Basically, they like warm humidity with low light conditions.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
lisa127 said:
I use tube flourescents. I use 5.0 ReptiGlo. I wouldn't go stronger than a 5.0 bulb for boxies. Basically, they like warm humidity with low light conditions.

When you say tube flourescents are you talking about the coil ones? I haven't seen any "reptiglo" in the tube meaning long strip light, I've only sEen reptiglo in the coil type bulbs and they are known for harming torts caseing blindness

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
So do you guys think the Zoo Med Rapsun 100 watt is too much for my two adult eastern boxies?

it is both uvb/uva

Status
Not open for further replies.