UVB Exposure

Nikkic

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Hello, I just got my first baby Cherry head today, and the breeder recommended that they only be kept under the UVB for 1-3 hours since they would not be exposed to sunlight on the Forrest floor. Does anyone know how accurate this is? Any other general advice would be welcome! I have been researching for awhile but so many care sheets have some differences.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
we recently changed from a mercury spot bulb to a t8 tropical tube, should we keep that on 12 hours as well?
A T8 is what we used long ago. (Or in MY case, 5 years ago)
A T5 HO is about 3 times as powerful.
A T8 can work for a Redfoot since it requires less UVB. But it needs to be no more than 8" away from the tortoise to provide any real UVB.
And a T8 that has to transmit through a screen top is even less effective. About 50% less. So it would only provide negligible amounts, if any.
If your T8 is not transmitted through a screen. Place it close and leave it on for 12 hours a day. Replace the bulb every 6 to 10 months or invest in a 6.5 SOLARMETER like the one JOSH'S FROGS sells to see how much UVB your tube has and when to reach it.
Optimally you want a T5 HO.
Aside from that you want a 12 hours of simulated daytime and 12 hours of dark night time.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Roger that, its about 10 inches away, ill work on getting it closer
A Redfoot is one of the very few species in which a T8 can actually provide enough UVB.
Use a varied diet for proper nutrition.
Green leafy. Fruit. Mushrooms. Edible flowers and protein in the form of meat or egg.
Avoid bright lights.
Provide hiding areas.
Humidity over 70%
Temperature between 80 and 87.
83 is ideal