Uvb for lizards.

Greta16

Location (City and/or State)
Western Maine
Hi, a friend of mine has a small lizard for the kids. I don't think they pay much attention to it really. I noticed the tank yesterday when I was visiting. My friend couldn't even tell me what kind it is. My question is, do all lizards need a uvb light? This lizard doesn't have one.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
See if it is a lizard from the yard, and maybe convince her to release it back into the yard.
If it is not a native lizard, then it must be kept captive.

Greta16

Western Maine
Yes. Reptiles need UVB. Either from the sun or a special light source.
They also need warmth.
That's what I thought! We live in maine..the closest thing we have to lizards are salamanders. If he had one if those I would steal it and let it go! It's in a small vivarium with 2 heat pads stuck to one corner. Sand as the substrate...

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hi, a friend of mine has a small lizard for the kids. I don't think they pay much attention to it really. I noticed the tank yesterday when I was visiting. My friend couldn't even tell me what kind it is. My question is, do all lizards need a uvb light? This lizard doesn't have one.
Not every lizard does. All diurnal ones do though.

Greta16

Western Maine
I'm going to text my friends boyfriend later and suggest that the lizard probably needs a uvb light. He would be much more open to that than my friend. Thanks.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm going to text my friends boyfriend later and suggest that the lizard probably needs a uvb light. He would be much more open to that than my friend. Thanks.
Leopard geckos are very popular lizards and do not need it. Do you know if it might be that? What does it look like?

Greta16

Western Maine
I actually didn't see it, it was hiding in its cave. The cave is relatively small. My friend said the lizard is small. I'm guessing probably 4in.

Greta16

Western Maine
Off topic question regarding this forum..will you get a notification that I've replied if I don't highlight your remark?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Off topic question regarding this forum..will you get a notification that I've replied if I don't highlight your remark?
It depends on how each members alerts are set up. So, yes and no. You can also choose to send a direct Message to a member.