UVB is too low?

TayefA08

Location (City and/or State)
UK, Wales,
So I had posted a picture of my enclosure some time ago for my Russain Tortoise know as Rammus. One problem was my UVB tube lighting was too low as it is a T8 10% UVB light just wanted to see if the height is now fine.20180113_133640.jpg1515850453091.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks fine from what a pic will show. I would not leave the black box or cords where the tort can get too it, Very dangerous.
Did anyone tell you that the enclosure is too small for an adult Russian? They need a minimum of a 4 x8 foot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Who told you it was too low? T8 10.0 bulbs make very little UV and they must be at least 10-12" from the tortoise for their to be any UV benefit. At the current height in the picture, your tortoise is getting almost no UV from the bulb. You bulb will also be more effective if you run it in a reflector hood. Adam posted some UV numbers with and without a hood the other day, and the difference was substantial. I make these assertions based on actual UV meter readings of those bulbs at various heights.

I agree your tortoise needs a much larger enclosure, and the "Pets At Home" substrate that is commonly sold over there in the UK is a bad idea. Encouraging a tortoise to eat its substrate to satisfy calcium cravings is a path to disaster. I recommend changing that ASAP.

Last edited:

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
Money is a problem unfortunately so the next time I can change the substrate is 29th on Monday to coco fibre I have got a cover for the tube light but it makes the enclosure seem very dark in some spots

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
Looks fine from what a pic will show. I would not leave the black box or cords where the tort can get too it, Very dangerous.
Did anyone tell you that the enclosure is too small for an adult Russian? They need a minimum of a 4 x8 foot.
My Russian tort is not an adult he is only 2 years old we are planning to change his enclosure at 3 to 4 years old

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
Also I will get rid of the black box from that position thank you

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
Who told you it was too low? T8 10.0 bulbs make very little UV and they must be at least 10-12" from the tortoise for their to be any UV benefit. At the current height in the picture, your tortoise is getting almost no UV from the bulb. You bulb will also be more effective if you run it in a reflector hood. Adam posted some UV numbers with and without a hood the other day, and the difference was substantial. I make these assertions based on actual UV meter readings of those bulbs at various heights.

I agree your tortoise needs a much larger enclosure, and the "Pets At Home" substrate that is commonly sold over there in the UK is a bad idea. Encouraging a tortoise to eat its substrate to satisfy calcium cravings is a path to disaster. I recommend changing that ASAP.
Unfortunately money is an issue the next substrate change is 29th of January changing to coco fibre also the UVB is 11" off the ground so I'm guessing that's okay

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When you get the coir. Bake it in the oven at 200-250 for 3-4 hours. It will help keep the bugs that most everyone gets from the substrate down or non existent.
Also if you spot clean the substrate daily of food and poop, you should not have to change the substrate again for years. Helps save on money.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Unfortunately money is an issue the next substrate change is 29th of January changing to coco fibre also the UVB is 11" off the ground so I'm guessing that's okay

Call a local tortoise vet and ask them how much tortoise impaction surgery costs. I'll bet you a pound that some coco coir costs less than impaction surgery. Find the money. Your tortoises health depends upon it. If you didn't live in another country, I'd mail it to you on loan.