UVB lamp choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I have been reading on here about choosing the right UVB and have read contradicting information on what is fine and which is not.

I have been using the compact coil type on my bearded dragon for 9 years and so far he hasn't gone blind and hopefully he won't.

I currently bought the Exo-Terra Repti Glo 26W 10.0 compact UVB (desert terrarium lamp is says) for my Russian Tortoise.
coil.jpg

I need to know if this kind could possibly cause blindness. I read somewhere that at first compact bulbs can bee too bright the first couple of days and then be fine.

And these lights are also going through a screen top if that makes a difference (I read somewhere it does). Also, is it all compact bulbs that can be dangerous? Or are others worse than some?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Certainly with tortoises all compact (coil) bulbs are discouraged as we see far too many cases of eye problems on these forums caused by them.

Not all tortoises are affected, but too many are. As I understand it, other reptiles have shown these problems, so on TFO the advice will always be to stay away from compact (coil) bulbs.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
JoesMum said:
Certainly with tortoises all compact (coil) bulbs are discouraged as we see far too many cases of eye problems on these forums caused by them.

Not all tortoises are affected, but too many are. As I understand it, other reptiles have shown these problems, so on TFO the advice will always be to stay away from compact (coil) bulbs.

Thank you! Also, if a compact bulb is used is there a height it could be deemed "safe"?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We won't say any height is safe, because as far as we can tell it doesn't make a difference. The higher the bulb, the less UVB your pet will get... so actually it is better to get a safe bulb in the first place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will not use or recommend any coil type bulb. I have seen them cause too many problems too many times. Height and burn in time don't seem to matter. And I've personally see them fry bearded dragon eyes too.

The problem is that some people use them and don't have a problem. Others use them and do have a problem. The one's that don't have a problem assume the ones who did have a problem did something wrong or different, since they themselves didn't have a problem. The problem appears to be in the QC and manufacturing process. There is no way for you to know if your next bulb will be one of the "problem" bulbs. Better to just not use them at all, in favor of something that we know is safe. Long tube style florescent bulbs are fine and so are mercury vapor bulbs.

The best solution is to not use ANY artificial UV bulbs and instead, get your tortoise outside in a safe secure enclosure for some frequent and regular sunshine.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
JoesMum said:
We won't say any height is safe, because as far as we can tell it doesn't make a difference. The higher the bulb, the less UVB your pet will get... so actually it is better to get a safe bulb in the first place.

I think I am either going with the MVB or the tube style, thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tortoiselove25 said:
JoesMum said:

Thank you! Also, if a compact bulb is used is there a height it could be deemed "safe"?

They just should not be used. Why would you want to take the risk. By the time you figure out there is a problem, the tort is already suffering. On a chameleon forum, they also have problems, along with many others. Do you know, there are even problems being caused by the ones we are suppose to use in our every day lamps.
Don't risk your torts health and use a mvb, which is the best one and does not need to be replaced for one year and then the fluorescent, which should be replaced after 6 months.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Tom said:
I will not use or recommend any coil type bulb. I have seen them cause too many problems too many times. Height and burn in time don't seem to matter. And I've personally see them fry bearded dragon eyes too.

The problem is that some people use them and don't have a problem. Others use them and do have a problem. The one's that don't have a problem assume the ones who did have a problem did something wrong or different, since they themselves didn't have a problem. The problem appears to be in the QC and manufacturing process. There is no way for you to know if your next bulb will be one of the "problem" bulbs. Better to just not use them at all, in favor of something that we know is safe. Long tube style florescent bulbs are fine and so are mercury vapor bulbs.

The best solution is to not use ANY artificial UV bulbs and instead, get your tortoise outside in a safe secure enclosure for some frequent and regular sunshine.

I plan on moving my tortoise outside once I get everything I need to build it. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortoiselove25 said:
Tom said:

I plan on moving my tortoise outside once I get everything I need to build it. Thanks!

He doesn't have to live outside full time. Just an hour or so a day, will more than meet his UV needs, and then you don't need any expensive or complicated UV set ups. This is what I do with all my babies every year.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
They just should not be used. Why would you want to take the risk. By the time you figure out there is a problem, the tort is already suffering. On a chameleon forum, they also have problems, along with many others. Do you know, there are even problems being caused by the ones we are suppose to use in our every day lamps.
Don't risk your torts health and use a mvb, which is the best one and does not need to be replaced for one year and then the fluorescent, which should be replaced after 6 months.
[/quote]

I am not going to use them on my tortoise nor my bearded dragon, I will more than likely go with the MVB, thanks!

Tom said:
tortoiselove25 said:
Tom said:

He doesn't have to live outside full time. Just an hour or so a day, will more than meet his UV needs, and then you don't need any expensive or complicated UV set ups. This is what I do with all my babies every year.

So just one hour?! That is great, I had no idea but for the winter he will come in and need a MVB though so I will get one anyway.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have a moderator here who lives in Michigan. Her tortoises are out all summer in the fair weather, and she brings them in over winter. She uses NO artificial UV sources and her tortoises thrive. If you have a nice outdoor enclosure that your tortoise can use during nice weather, you really don't need the artificial UV stuff. Some people like to use it in the winter, just to be sure, but I wanted to let you know that it is not an absolute requirement for good tortoise health, IF they get frequent real sunshine.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Tom said:
We have a moderator here who lives in Michigan. Her tortoises are out all summer in the fair weather, and she brings them in over winter. She uses NO artificial UV sources and her tortoises thrive. If you have a nice outdoor enclosure that your tortoise can use during nice weather, you really don't need the artificial UV stuff. Some people like to use it in the winter, just to be sure, but I wanted to let you know that it is not an absolute requirement for good tortoise health, IF they get frequent real sunshine.

That is really good to know, thanks. I know that uv rays can still get threw clouds but should I increase the amount of time outside if it is cloudy?

Status
Not open for further replies.