Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That fixture and type of bulb are fine, but I don't think that particular bulb will give you the UV that your beardie needs.

They use all sort of marketing ploys and fancy sounding terms to sell these things to people. It says it makes "25 micorwatts" of UV. That is very low, and by the time it goes through your screen top and reaches the lizard at the bottom of the enclosure, I don't think it will be enough to get the job done.

I'd look here instead:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/fixtures/t5-high-output/
Call and talk to the guy here. I can't remember his name right now, but he knows these products very well and sells them all day long. He will know which bulb/fixture combo will work best for you and your individual caging situation. I've had great customer service from him several times.

I've seen beardies with damaged eyes from cfl bulbs, and I've seen lots of beardies, and other lizards, with MBD because of inadequate UV lighting for too long. This is an area to go all out in. Your lizard's long term health depends on it.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That fixture and type of bulb are fine, but I don't think that particular bulb will give you the UV that your beardie needs.

They use all sort of marketing ploys and fancy sounding terms to sell these things to people. It says it makes "25 micorwatts" of UV. That is very low, and by the time it goes through your screen top and reaches the lizard at the bottom of the enclosure, I don't think it will be enough to get the job done.

I'd look here instead:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/fixtures/t5-high-output/
Call and talk to the guy here. I can't remember his name right now, but he knows these products very well and sells them all day long. He will know which bulb/fixture combo will work best for you and your individual caging situation. I've had great customer service from him several times.

I've seen beardies with damaged eyes from cfl bulbs, and I've seen lots of beardies, and other lizards, with MBD because of inadequate UV lighting for too long. This is an area to go all out in. Your lizard's long term health depends on it.

Thanks Tom!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Actually, do you think I could just use the fixture an use a different bulb? The hoods are just super expensive. Or do you know a way that I could mount the light without the hood? I'm fine with spending a lot of money with this, but I just want to make sure there's no cheaper option :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Actually, do you think I could just use the fixture an use a different bulb? The hoods are just super expensive. Or do you know a way that I could mount the light without the hood? I'm fine with spending a lot of money with this, but I just want to make sure there's no cheaper option :)
Any bulb of the correct size, wattage and type should work in that fixture.