UVB light for a cherry head

Pjust

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello,

After consulting on this forum, I recently purchased a 4x2 Grow out tent that will be used to house a cherryhead hatchling here in a few months. I already have a CHE to control heat and I’m looking for the proper UVB light. I found this one online and want to know if it would be adequate for a cherry head, hanging roughly 15-18” above the surface of the soilAF5A02DC-DBCA-47B4-8D9D-08EB611A1F2D.png

Pjust

Kansas
👍🏻 I have heard that cherry heads don’t need as much UVB as other species might, and I was only a little concerned because it isn’t a 10.0 tube, but thanks for letting me know!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It's less uvb than I'd like. At 15", it says its less than .45 uvi.

I'd just use one of the lower strengthed bulbs that wasn't in the shadedweller line, like the proT5 6%. At 15", it says its 3.6 uvi. There are ways to dial in the uvi to whatever number you want, but you need it to be sufficient enough to start with. Raise the bulb, remove or change the reflector, or use mesh/screening below the bulb to reduce uvi.

Reactions: Tom

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
REDFOOT and CHERRY HEAD REDFOOT do require a bit less direct UVB than most other tortoises. And the lower output tubes can work for them.
The good thing about the higher output tubes is that as they age and become less effective, they can be lowered and stay within a useful range a longer time. Making them a less expensive option.
But you'll need a UV meter to know for sure how much UVB you have and where.
A SOLARMETER 6.5

Reactions: Tom