UVB light question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
So I've heard that coiled UVB lights can be bad for a tort's eyes. Does this also apply to compact flourescent light bulbs?

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, Ohio
Hi! I use a exo terra 160 watt MVB (mercury vapor bulb) solar pro in a Flukers Sun Dome fixture which provides great heat and uvb and uva. Also on the cold side of his habitat I use a coil style Zoo Med 10.0 26 watt compact fluorescent uvb bulb in a Flukers 8.5" clamp light to flood the other side. Seems to work well. Whats everyones opinion of my lighting/heat setup?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think most stay away from coil fluorescent bulbs, just in case. I have heard some mention the newer ones are OK, but as Barb says, why chance it?
You can swap out the coil bulb for a regular house bulb, 75w, or whatever keeps the temp at around 70.
Unless your house is <60 at night, you don't need any heat at night.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
lynnedit said:
I think most stay away from coil fluorescent bulbs, just in case. I have heard some mention the newer ones are OK, but as Barb says, why chance it?
You can swap out the coil bulb for a regular house bulb, 75w, or whatever keeps the temp at around 70.
Unless your house is <60 at night, you don't need any heat at night.

What about my uvb coil light as a filler on the right side of my enclosure? Will my Mercury Vapor all in one bulb put off enough uvb? It is a eco terra 160 watt solar pro uvb/basking light. Should I ditch my Zoo Med 10. 26 watt coil uvb bulb and just use a house bulb for light? Or should I get a 24" Reti Light regular tube uvb light in a fixture?

thanks

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
yoyoyod said:
What about my uvb coil light as a filler on the right side of my enclosure? Will my Mercury Vapor all in one bulb put off enough uvb? It is a exo terra 160 watt solar pro uvb/basking light. Should I ditch my Zoo Med 10. 26 watt coil uvb bulb and just use a house bulb for light? Or should I get a 24" Reti Light regular tube uvb light in a fixture?

thanks

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
I have seen what everyone has had said about the compact coil uvb bulbs about how they are bad for their eyes so I took that back and found round globe shape bulbs just shaped like a regular house bulb but it is a 60 watt fluorescent bulb no coils just round. Is that safe to use for spare lighting on my setup?

Thanks

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'm going to go with an MVB, because my Russian Henry needs a little extra heat in his new, larger enclosure too.

On an unrelated note, how do you get the thumbnail picture to show next to your name in the threads? I can't figure it out :tort:

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Go to cp user on the main login screen and there you can update you avatar (pic) and other account info

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
yoyoyod said:
What about my uvb coil light as a filler on the right side of my enclosure? Will my Mercury Vapor all in one bulb put off enough uvb? It is a eco terra 160 watt solar pro uvb/basking light. Should I ditch my Zoo Med 10. 26 watt coil uvb bulb and just use a house bulb for light? Or should I get a 24" Reti Light regular tube uvb light in a fixture?

thanks

(sorry, didn't see this post!)
In a smaller enclosure, the MVB would be fine for UVB. That may be all you need. If your enclosure needs brightening up, or more warmth, then an extra house incandescent bulb (heat and light, no UVB) as mentioned.

The Reptisun tube fluorescent lights are great to add more light and UVB (little heat). Adding one of these along one side of a larger enclosure can boost the UVB nicely, and brighten things up.
Or, a lot of people use these as the UVB source, with a non UVB basking light for warmth.

What you go with depends on your enclosure shape and size, and kind of tort. As long as you have a UVB source and a basking area, you can mix and match.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
I recommend the Exo Terra Solar Glow 160 watt uvb/uva/basking bulb. I also use a Flukers Sun Dome deep lighting fixture. Its good for the price. Your going to pay more for th Zoo Med Reptisun MVB but heard it is awesome.

Hope this helps

Jenncure

5 Year Member
thanks for the advice.

Is it true that, if the MVB is pointing slightly outwards, the light can damage MY eyes?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Only if you stare at it, I would imagine.
But the MVB lights really need to point straight down to work right.

Status
Not open for further replies.