UVB light question.

Patjava30

Location (City and/or State)
Albany, New York
Im in the process of building a "sometimes" out door enclosure for my russian, I wondered if this is a good UVB bulb for his indoor home.
Thanks!

sulcata2014

Florida
I would buy the UV-B Mercury Vapor Light and use that for an hour or so on most days. I actually block the hide while the light is on so they definitely get the UV-B exposure.

mikeh

5 Year Member
I would buy the UV-B Mercury Vapor Light and use that for an hour or so on most days. I actually block the hide while the light is on so they definitely get the UV-B exposure.

An hour a day? It should be on all day time hours. 10-12 hours a day.

tryme

5 Year Member
London
Id assume not as theyd get too much uvb due to the sun?

Patjava30

Albany, New York
I don't think there's too much sun. He ended up spending most days outside, and came in at night. I did get the merc vapor bulb too. Great thing for a tort to be outside!

sulcata2014

Florida
To answer MikeH. I know it is recommended to leave it on for 10-12 hours a day. Nothing wrong with that. I know that in the wild and inside a home tortoises spend most of their time in the shade. Therefore they don't get the UVB from a bulb for most of that 10-12 hours. I said I removed the hide so they would get it for sure for an hour or two. I take my small tortoises outside most days for at least an hour. I just run that UV-B light like I said and it's lasts a lot longer effectively b/c they are only good for 6 months at about 10 hours a day.