UVB Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
I have a Florescent UVB Hood that only takes up about 1/2 of my russians enclosure. Is it fine to only light up the half Of his enclosure? Or should I return it and get a bigger one? He's a baby russian and I'm scared that he might not be getting all his UVB rays, I just don't want him to pyramid or be getting a lack of it. -Thanks

Attachments

• image-828693969.png
    image-828693969.png
    180.9 KB · Views: 62

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Should be fine. Just make sure it is hanging at the lever that is recommended on the bulb. Also, the light you have on the clamp should be hung. Those clamps are known to give way and could burn your tort or house, most likely both.

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Sorry, i hope i'm not hijacking, but how do you hang the clamp lamps? Pics would be helpful. I've been trying to figure it out for sooooo long!
Thanks,
dannel

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am able to hang mine from a cup hook and then I drape the cord over the hook. I also have some that have a metal loop like hanger on them. I also use that. I will try to get a pic. Not sure it will turn out because of the bright light. But will try.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hope this works.
7a6e6f5e2806e2476acde4df3cb4cdb3_zps69a4a784.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have done this for years with my Beardie and never a problem. For over a year now for my leopard.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I disagree that only having half the enclosure lit is sufficient. Russian tortoises need a lot of light to remain active. The main question about Russian tortoises on this site is "Why did my Russian tortoise bury itself". Part of the answer to this question is that Russian tortoises require long, light intensive days (along with correct temperatures) to remain active. In the wild their activity periods are brief but are during the time of year when the days are longest and the sun is brightest. This light duration and intensity, along with temperatures tell the tortoise it's time to be active. As long as the temperatures do not get to hot, the tortoise will remain active. If the temperatures get too hot while the light is intense with 14-16 hour days the tortoise will usually aestivate to escape the extreme temperatures and dryness. If it's hot but the light in not intense or the duration is shorter than normal it will also become inactive. The three elements of light duration, intensity and correct temperatures work together to dictate to the tortoise what to do and when. In more simple terms, most people make the mistake of keeping their Russian tortoises too hot and too dark. Just as an example-my adults while indoors are in a 3' x6' enclosure with about 8" of substrate. They have a 3' wide by 18" long hide area paritially buried in the substrate. Looks somewhat like an underground parking garage! Their enclosure has a 4' UV fluorescent tube lighting the remaining part of the enclosure. At the opposite end of the hide area they have a 90 watt spot light and a 150 watt MVB lamp. I will occasionally alternate the use of these lights once or twice a week, but most of the time both basking lights, as well as the UV tube are on 15 hours a day. Both basking lights are hung about 16-18" above some flat basking rocks that are set on the substrate. I have had most of the adults in this group for about 8-10 years. Every Russian tortoise is active every day in this enclosure. None have ever buried themselves in the substrate. Many people make the mistake of providing the heat without adequate light. A single MVB lamp is probably the worse situation of all. It provides very good localized heat, light and UV but nothing outside the range of it's beam which is typically only about 12-14" in diameter. That amount of coverage isn't even adequate for a 2' x 4' enclosure.

volcom6981

5 Year Member
So you have two basking spots, with the MVB, and the 90watt spot bulb? How hot does it get on one side just curious about your temps?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
I disagree that only having half the enclosure lit is sufficient. Russian tortoises need a lot of light to remain active. The main question about Russian tortoises on this site is "Why did my Russian tortoise bury itself". Part of the answer to this question is that Russian tortoises require long, light intensive days (along with correct temperatures) to remain active. In the wild their activity periods are brief but are during the time of year when the days are longest and the sun is brightest. This light duration and intensity, along with temperatures tell the tortoise it's time to be active. As long as the temperatures do not get to hot, the tortoise will remain active. If the temperatures get too hot while the light is intense with 14-16 hour days the tortoise will usually aestivate to escape the extreme temperatures and dryness. If it's hot but the light in not intense or the duration is shorter than normal it will also become inactive. The three elements of light duration, intensity and correct temperatures work together to dictate to the tortoise what to do and when. In more simple terms, most people make the mistake of keeping their Russian tortoises too hot and too dark. Just as an example-my adults while indoors are in a 3' x6' enclosure with about 8" of substrate. They have a 3' wide by 18" long hide area paritially buried in the substrate. Looks somewhat like an underground parking garage! Their enclosure has a 4' UV fluorescent tube lighting the remaining part of the enclosure. At the opposite end of the hide area they have a 90 watt spot light and a 150 watt MVB lamp. I will occasionally alternate the use of these lights once or twice a week, but most of the time both basking lights, as well as the UV tube are on 15 hours a day. Both basking lights are hung about 16-18" above some flat basking rocks that are set on the substrate. I have had most of the adults in this group for about 8-10 years. Every Russian tortoise is active every day in this enclosure. None have ever buried themselves in the substrate. Many people make the mistake of providing the heat without adequate light. A single MVB lamp is probably the worse situation of all. It provides very good localized heat, light and UV but nothing outside the range of it's beam which is typically only about 12-14" in diameter. That amount of coverage isn't even adequate for a 2' x 4' enclosure.

Excellent post! Thank you for posting this - this is the case for not just Russian Tortoises but for many diurnal reptiles. Bright, white (visible) light is essential for the well being of many reptiles, especially those active seasonally and desert species.

-Jen

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
T-smart, if you changed your basking light to an MVB, your enclosure would have UVB the entire way. Just turn them on for 12-14 hours, off at night. MVB's do have to hang straight down. *see below*

dannel said:
Sorry, i hope i'm not hijacking, but how do you hang the clamp lamps? Pics would be helpful. I've been trying to figure it out for sooooo long!
Thanks,
dannel

In those rubbermaid tubs, I made a rack to hang my lights using the handles. At least in mine, I was able to put a 1"x3" piece of wood into the slot inside the tub created to make the handles. I then put one short screw through the tub into the wood on each side to stabilize them. They were at least 2" high, perhaps more. I then drilled about 3 equal holes in each one, and put a dowel rod through (at least 2-3" longer on each side so it didn't slip out.
I could then hang my lights with chain, and adjust up and down with the various holes and chain.
( The smaller light on the other side is just a house bulb, and secured with a C clamp)

This is the best pic that I can find:
IMG_0010.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.