UVB question

Sully06012018

Location (City and/or State)
Ocklawaha, FL
My baby Sulcata is just shy of 2 weeks old. I take him outside in filtered sunlight for an hour most days. I had already ordered a 10 UVB bulb before I read to use tube lighting. Would glueing a scrren across the bottom of the dome protect his eyes yet give him enough UVB?:<3::tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only bulb that will hurt his eyes is the coil type. Screen will block most of the uvb and bulbs don't give out much compared to the sun. So, no screen.
While your able to give him natural sunlight, you don't need uvb inside anyway. Save the light for winter/cold months.

Sully06012018

Ocklawaha, FL
The only bulb that will hurt his eyes is the coil type. Screen will block most of the uvb and bulbs don't give out much compared to the sun. So, no screen.
While your able to give him natural sunlight, you don't need uvb inside anyway. Save the light for winter/cold months.
It is the coil type...that is why I thought screen might work.:rolleyes::(

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It is the coil type...that is why I thought screen might work.:rolleyes::(
I wouldn't use the coil light. It might not be all of them, but I've personally had problems with one. If you get your tort sun everyday you don't really need a uvb light. I only use one in the winter when my tortoise can't go outside. Rest of the time I just use a regular 40watt incandescent in his enclosure on the days he can't go outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My baby Sulcata is just shy of 2 weeks old. I take him outside in filtered sunlight for an hour most days. I had already ordered a 10 UVB bulb before I read to use tube lighting. Would glueing a scrren across the bottom of the dome protect his eyes yet give him enough UVB?:<3::tort:
If your baby is getting an hour of access to sunshine just once or twice a week, you don't need indoor UV. I would not use the coil bulb. Just return it or chuck it.

There is no harm in running a 10.0 tube indoors though, because they do make nice light and a little more UVB access won't hurt anything. I like my indoor enclosures to be lit up well and simulate daytime brightness. I don't like a dimly lit indoor enclosure for the species I keep. It might suit some of the forest species well, but not a sulcata.

Sully06012018

Ocklawaha, FL
Thank you everyone for responding...and agreeing...less confusing. I live in Florida so we have plenty of sunshine.