UVB For Red Foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I'm going to add a UVB bulb because I think that it will benefit my tortoise. I've been talking to a few people not on this forum, who have convinced me that even under the shrubs, they're still getting some UVB.

The question is which is going to emit enough UVB but not be too strong..

I'm debating between the compact 5.0 Zoo Med and the regular tube 5.0 Zoo Med.

From what I've read, they're about the same. If I opt for the compact, what type of clamp is necessary?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Whitney:

I think you would be better off with the tube. There has been quite a bit of trouble for tortoises with the compact bulbs. They seem to concentrate the UV out the end of the bulb and cause eye trouble and sometimes blindness. This problem might be fixed now, however, I'm still leery of using them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I've read a lot on both sides and think UVB is a good idea. The best UVB is from natural sun, as you mentioned in another thread. Otherwise, I like rather limited access for younger Red-foots- either short days or low intensity and a lot of share options in any case.

My main concern with compact bulbs and spot-light version bulbs is that they create a small 'hot spot' of lots of UVB, but then the 'dosage' drops fast. Longer tubes, properly sized and rated for the habitat, makes larger 'pools' of useful UVB.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have always used a long tube 5.0 on one side of Pio's enclosure since he was a hatchling. I figured it couldn't hurt. I've never used a compact, not even for my water turtles, after I almost blinded my SP.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I have a Mega-Ray right now but when it burns out I plan on using something a bit less intense. Once it is time to replace it I plan on giving the T-Rex 100w UV Heat bulb a shot. Supposedly it's a less intense UVB as compared to the 100 w Active UV.

Though I will say that I hope to see some more objective reviews on it by then...

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Guess it is a regular tube then. He gets outside time, but I would like something for when he is inside. Any tips on stationing thw tube onto a 50 gallon tote? I have a 18" one from my bearded dragons. I just need the new bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.