uvb still effective over plexiglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
I'm in the process of finding a bookcase/shelf for a tort table frame I found a place that will cut plexiglass for me for a good price I just need to know if ill need a spot for my uvb light

I'm thinking I will so my design is to cover 2/3 with plexi CHE on the open end and hand have the uvb light in the middle

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
To my knowledge UVB does not go through plexiglass.
Lets see what others say.
I will show you my set up with a bookcase and how there is plexiglass on each side and a long UVB light in the middle.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
What are your dementions and is that a home made top? Also what is the blue thing on top is that you dome?

I'm housing a yellow foot so the humidity/heat is my concurn.

Most bookcases I find are 12" deep so with 6" of substrate doesn't leave much room so I might try and find 2 book cases the same so I can get 24"in depth

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Rover15 said:
What are your dementions and is that a home made top? Also what is the blue thing on top is that you dome?

I'm housing a yellow foot so the humidity/heat is my concurn.

Most bookcases I find are 12" deep so with 6" of substrate doesn't leave much room so I might try and find 2 book cases the same so I can get 24"in depth

Mine is 4'X 2' and I had to make a lid with plexiglass and plastic moulding to hold my heat and humidity in. It's working really well. It's also only 12" deep so I will need to upgrade to a larger/ deeper enclosure in the spring. I got 3 1/2 years of use out of it, but now that my red foot is 6", its time for bigger and better :)

I also cut around my lights, MVB on the left and CHE in the middle. The lid is in 3 panels for easier access.

Attachments

• image-1190470098.png
    image-1190470098.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 53

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
What is the difference between the tube uvb lights and the mercury vapor bulbs? I know the MVB also provide heat but is there any other difference in the uvb? Is one better then the other?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Mvb put out a large amount of UVB they are very good to use and last twice as long. They get hot tho, you have to have room to control the temps. If you can do it I like mvbs. With my mt toetoises I use one but have it up high so it's not as hot

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I have a 4 month old yellow foot right now I'm using a 5.0 tube light it increases over all temp 3-4 degress but that is in a 30"x12"x12 set up the main reason I ask is because I'm starting a tortoise table looking for a bookcase or something simular and I'm just trying to look at the best options. Are MVB good to use with a thermostat or prob not eh? Prob best with a timer just for on off and work out hight for the best temp, right?

I know I'm off topic but I got my answer no MVB on plexiglass but I hope it is still okay that we disscuse the MVB

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I think your best bet would be to find a local cabinet shop and ask them to build you something 2' deep. At 2' you can have 6" of substaight , 6" of light and 1' of separation. If you use an angled socket, you can also get better coverage if temps are too high directly under it. My enclosures are 2'x2'x4' for baby Sulcatas, with a CHE at one end on a thermostat and a MVB on a timer at the other end. The temp probe for the CHE is inside of the humid hide box and with this set up, the ambient, background temps typically are in the 85-90 degree F area.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
The place I'm purchasing the plexiglass from can/will build the enclosure completly out of plexi but pending on cost I'll do that my worry would be the top though. By your discription your lights hang in correct? Or did I miss read?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My light and CHE are mounted to the “ceiling" of the enclosure. I would have the concern of fumes being released from the plexiglass due to the high heat and it being enclosed. The build up of toxins could be lethal. In that plexiglass is not a normal in house building material finding proper information concerning that could be hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.