Can I install a UVB light like this?

Slbrlb

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest United States
I have a glass terrarium that I am planning to cover the top with plexiglass. I want to attach the UVB (tube) light and fixture to the plexiglass (on the inside of the enclosure) using command strips. These strips Velcro to eachother (from the plexiglass to the back of the fixture) and the bottom sides stick. I have used these before for very heavy 8x10 picture frames on my wall and this light fixture is much lighter.

Thoughts on this assembly?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I would prefer something mechanical (bolts, screws) rather than an adhesive.

One of the differences from using it for a picture frame and the fixture, is the fixture will be producing heat which along with humidity could affect the performance of the adhesive.

Also make sure they would work on ceilings and not just walls.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have a glass terrarium that I am planning to cover the top with plexiglass. I want to attach the UVB (tube) light and fixture to the plexiglass (on the inside of the enclosure) using command strips. These strips Velcro to eachother (from the plexiglass to the back of the fixture) and the bottom sides stick. I have used these before for very heavy 8x10 picture frames on my wall and this light fixture is much lighter.

Thoughts on this assembly?
Need more information. They brand and size and percent UV is needed to even guess as to the correct height. UVB bulbs can be dangerous and must be mounted correctly the only way to gurantee that is with a solarmeter to check the levels at the height your enclosure allows. WE can make educated guesses with the information I mention above, but a meter would be a wise investment.

I also would not trust the velcro and glue. The picture you mention is putting all the tension in a direction 90° to the surface the velcro is mounted. Much stronger that way then when hung so the tension is pulling directly on the velcro and the glue. I would use small bolts through the plexiglass to mount.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Need more information. They brand and size and percent UV is needed to even guess as to the correct height. UVB bulbs can be dangerous and must be mounted correctly the only way to gurantee that is with a solarmeter to check the levels at the height your enclosure allows. WE can make educated guesses with the information I mention above, but a meter would be a wise investment.

I also would not trust the velcro and glue. The picture you mention is putting all the tension in a direction 90° to the surface the velcro is mounted. Much stronger that way then when hung so the tension is pulling directly on the velcro and the glue. I would use small bolts through the plexiglass to mount.
I have a 22 inch zoomed T5 HO 10.0 bulb. The height will be around 18 inches from surface of enclosure. I could use screw through the plexiglass. I originally thought I could hang it directly on the side of the enclosure (glass) but I’m not sure that wood give enough uvb

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have a 22 inch zoomed T5 HO 10.0 bulb. The height will be around 18 inches from surface of enclosure. I could use screw through the plexiglass. I originally thought I could hang it directly on the side of the enclosure (glass) but I’m not sure that wood give enough uvb
You never want to hang a UVB on the side. Too dangerous. The light must come from above.

You can, and I do regularly, use bolts and screws through plexiglass. There are drill bits made specifically for that. They are not much more expensive that regular bits. They have a small pointed guide tip and a raised cutting edge on teh bottom of the bit at its diameter to eliminate cracking the plastic. You only need one bit of the appropriate size. That is the only way I would trust.

If you are sure you have a T5 HO at 10% then 18" above tortoise eye level sounds like a good guess for an appropriate height.

Reactions: Tom

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Word of advice, use a Dull drill bit when drilling in Plastic. The objective is more to scrape, than to cut.
If the drill bit is sharp, you risk cracking the plastic sheet as it dig's in to the soft plastic.
Note: Actual plastic bits have the leading edge of both flutes flattened.