UVB windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
Does anyone know of any brand of windows that let UVB through? I've been thinking about replaceing a big window in the room my torts indoor enclosure is so that he could enjoy some natural UVB indoors since its often too cold to keep my tort outside.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I believe all windows do to an extant, but the newer ones I know filter almost all for our safety, it would be tough to find one that does not.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Just something to keep in mind. The older ones that would do tend to be drafty (which wouldn't be good on the torts). Also, doing custom picture framing for yrs prior to having kids I can tell you that also, those windows will bleach out furniture, carpeting as well as any pictures on your walls unless the pictures are custom framed with special uvb protection glass with is expensive unless the prices have dropped considerably.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: UVB windows

Millerlite said:
I believe all windows do to an extant, but the newer ones I know filter almost all for our safety, it would be tough to find one that does not.

As far as I am aware no window glass lets through enough UVB for a healthy tortoise

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Hmmm...ok. Seems like this idea wont work. Drafty windows are not only bad for my tort but also for the rest of the family. I was thinking about some high quality windows that really keep in the heat well but also let UVB through.

Joesmum: I wasn't thinking about replacing my mvb and uvb tube with the window, but using the natural uvb in addition to them. My long term plan is to dedicate a whole room in the house to my greek to really make one huge indoor enclosure and thats why I was thinking a good UVB window would help :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The window will help with light, but not UVB. You need to take care when putting an enclosure next to the window, direct sun through the window can make things far too hot.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The thing with UVB is that they are molecular particles that bounce around. When they come into contact with a window they will redirect to something else.

New windows does not matter what they are. Argon filled double or triple pane will not allow it through. Low E wont, 366 low E glass wont either. it is the obstacle itself of the glass filtering the particle. Which is another reason why I don't understand the reptile 18" UVB fixtures that have the plexi glass on them. Its counteracting the purpose of the light fixture and UVB bulb inside. Screen can also do the same thing. It will filter some of the particles out. Not nearly as much per say a window.

EKLC

5 Year Member
There is UVB transparent plexiglass. Some zoo's use it as a skylight in the roofs of their reptile houses. It's not something that is readily available for an individual though

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
EKLC said:
There is UVB transparent plexiglass. Some zoo's use it as a skylight in the roofs of their reptile houses. It's not something that is readily available for an individual though

If by 'readily available' you mean able to buy off the shelf then you're probably right. However, it can easily be ordered from a plastic supplier. It is expensive however. I was quoted $422 for a 63” x 88” sheet. Plus freight.

EKLC

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
EKLC said:

If by 'readily available' you mean able to buy off the shelf then you're probably right. However, it can easily be ordered from a plastic supplier. It is expensive however. I was quoted $422 for a 63” x 88” sheet. Plus freight.

And it would have to be made into a window and I'm not really sure how easy that is.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Pure Plexiglass ("PMMA", poly-methyl-meth-acrylate) transmits most of the UV that will give you a suntan. Clear poly-styrene plastic is chemically simple, just C's and H's (Carbon and Hydrogen), and no big electron clouds. So it transmits UV better.

Poly-ethylene is even simpler, and will transmit even farther into the UV. But it always has scattering, always looks cloudy or milky (translucent).

DuPont's Teflon (TM) has only Carbon and Fluorine atoms, and transmits so far into the UV that scientists have difficulty getting UV lasers to cut it. But you have seen that it is really white ("PTFE" type), not just cloudy like poly-ethylene, and this kind of

DuPont's Teflon (TM) has very strong scattering. If it is too white to see through, you will get a low percentage transmission in the UV too. Then there are clearer types ("PFA" type) which are only a little cloudy. They transmit well too. Good thing is, almost never does someone bother to put UV-blocking dye in Teflons.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Cowboy_Ken said:
Pure Plexiglass ("PMMA", poly-methyl-meth-acrylate) transmits most of the UV that will give you a suntan. Clear poly-styrene plastic is chemically simple, just C's and H's (Carbon and Hydrogen), and no big electron clouds. So it transmits UV better.

Poly-ethylene is even simpler, and will transmit even farther into the UV. But it always has scattering, always looks cloudy or milky (translucent).

DuPont's Teflon (TM) has only Carbon and Fluorine atoms, and transmits so far into the UV that scientists have difficulty getting UV lasers to cut it. But you have seen that it is really white ("PTFE" type), not just cloudy like poly-ethylene, and this kind of

DuPont's Teflon (TM) has very strong scattering. If it is too white to see through, you will get a low percentage transmission in the UV too. Then there are clearer types ("PFA" type) which are only a little cloudy. They transmit well too. Good thing is, almost never does someone bother to put UV-blocking dye in Teflons.

It would be very cool to put a uvb measuring device under the duponts teflon on a sunny day. If the uvb values a good enough, this would be a fantastic help for torts in cold climates. I would buy this and make a big greenhouse in my yard for my greek. I hope someone can test this some day.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Cowboy_Ken said:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99272.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.