UVB

kyel3840

Location (City and/or State)
Bethany , Oklahoma
Where do you guys get your t5 ho uvb tubes and fixture? I'm looking for a 46 to 48 inch to put in the enclosure me and my wife are building

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know which one your talking about. Not sure I have heard of a 6% Post a pic of it. Okay I got it now. It should be fine. I'm not sure what most use. I haven't switched over yet. @Tom knows more about them. He can help.

Wolfpackin

Colorado
Is the 6% one okay
It depends on the distance hung from the tortoise and the UVI level you are trying to achieve.
The T8 6% is probably not suficient and the T5 6% can provide decent levels of UVB at relatively close distances with a reflective hood/fixture.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
I use Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 bulbs to achieve the desired Ferguson zone reading (measured using a Solarmeter 6.5R). I usually just buy them from whoever has them on sale (Petsmart, Petco, etc)...always keeping a few as back ups. Bought the hoods during an online sale, as well. I did have to buy the mounting clips (installed on the underside of the top of the enclosure) directly from Zoo Med, as I couldn't find them for sale anywhere else.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 bulbs to achieve the desired Ferguson zone reading (measured using a Solarmeter 6.5R). I usually just buy them from whoever has them on sale (Petsmart, Petco, etc)...always keeping a few as back ups. Bought the hoods during an online sale, as well. I did have to buy the mounting clips (installed on the underside of the top of the enclosure) directly from Zoo Med, as I couldn't find them for sale anywhere else.
What readings do you get and at what distance? I've not used this type, but several knowledgeable keepers have recommended them. I like the Arcadia bulbs, but the 6% is too weak and the 12% are VERY strong. The 10.0 HO Zoomed bulbs seem to be a happy medium for many housing situations.

kyel3840

Bethany , Oklahoma
What readings do you get and at what distance? I've not used this type, but several knowledgeable keepers have recommended them. I like the Arcadia bulbs, but the 6% is too weak and the 12% are VERY strong. The 10.0 HO Zoomed bulbs seem to be a happy medium for many housing situations.
So should I get the 10.0 instead of the 12% tom

Wolfpackin

Colorado
About 20 to 24 inches
Then I agree with with Tom, the Reptisun T5 10.0 or Arcadia T5 12% will be in the right ballpark.
It's really a guessing game without a meter but I think I still have a T5 10.0 that I'm not using and might be able to get some readings at 20-24 inches for you.

kyel3840

Bethany , Oklahoma
Then I agree with with Tom, the Reptisun T5 10.0 or Arcadia T5 12% will be in the right ballpark.
It's really a guessing game without a meter but I think I still have a T5 10.0 that I'm not using and might be able to get some readings at 20-24 inches for you.
Okay. Ty

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Distance wise, I would say it's about 18" from the bulb to top of our Egyptian tortoise's shell. Our enclosure is about 24" tall (outside dimension) and we use about 4" of substrate. As far as readings go, we get anywhere from low 3's to low 4's on the meter, depending on terrain and exact position under each light bulb (we have 2 fixtures installed in line with each other). 20180727_111719.jpeg20180505_203400.jpeg20180727_112252.jpeg

Reactions: Tom