Variety

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Hey guys i wanna know what you feed your tortoises ! :) i feed Sheldon almost the same trying everyday and i want to switch it up a little bit . He gets fresh greens from the garden and wild grass that grows outside and occasionally some Romaine Lettuce . What should i do to switch it up and make his life more interesting ? Leave some suggestions below :D P.S. Please see my last topic and help me out ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Are you collecting any weeds for him? Cactus? Leaves from bushes and trees like mulberry, Althea/hibicus? Do you try different types of greens from your garden and/or from the produce department at your grocery store?

You can also change how you feed them. Like instead of cutting it hip, leave the food in chucnks or whole leaves. Try hanging the greens up with a clip so he has to reach up for them. Try "hiding" food so he has to go hunting for it.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Are you collecting any weeds for him? Cactus? Leaves from bushes and trees like mulberry, Althea/hibicus? Do you try different types of greens from your garden and/or from the produce department at your grocery store?

You can also change how you feed them. Like instead of cutting it hip, leave the food in chucnks or whole leaves. Try hanging the greens up with a clip so he has to reach up for them. Try "hiding" food so he has to go hunting for it.

Thanks and i do give him weeds several times a week and I get leaves from my tomato plant and tree in my front yard . I dont get that many things from the grocery store besides romaine lettuce because I want to stay fresh with his greens and things . I have not fed him any cactus , what types should i find ? I have a large variety of cactus around my house and neighborhood , are those safe ? And thanks for those excellent suggestions to make him busy through the day :D i have to start doing that !

Tom said:

Thanks Tom ! This is so helpful ! :D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Greetings Ashley,
Here is a website link that you can use as a base guideline on edible/non-edible plants for Sheldon. For instance, as you can see from this list, tomato leaves are toxic for consumption. Part of the deadly nightshade family...

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp?mode=az

Hope this helps with your search for good foods to feed Sheldon.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Greetings Ashley,
Here is a website link that you can use as a base guideline on edible/non-edible plants for Sheldon. For instance, as you can see from this list, tomato leaves are toxic for consumption. Part of the deadly nightshade family...

Oh wow thanks so much !! This is such great info !

Cowboy_Ken said:
Greetings Ashley,

I've literally only fed him 2 tomato leaves , will he be okay ?? Im so scared now ! :(

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I would figure he'll be fine. Get him good foods to help get it through his system.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member